[CHALLENGE ENDED] Community Challenge: Folding@home

AmyReyes
Community Manager

FOLDING@HOME BANNER.png

UPDATE: we crunched the numbers and have our winners! Based on the scores earned as of March 4th, the top three winners rank as follows:

🥇1st Place: @Nathaniel_Hang (folding as Nathaniel_Hang) with 1,205,401,254 credits earned

🥈2nd Place: @NavyXC (folding as navyxc) with 792,390,960 credits earned

🥉3rd Place: @riles0nic  (folding as rileyp) with 580,823,490 credits earned

In addition, we randomly selected three winners from the entrants to receive a pair of Meraki Community socks: @mrsedam1@ShaunH, and @SteveDunmall!

----------  

In honor of World Cancer Day on February 4th, we’re once again asking you to come together and donate your computing power to help researchers find a cure! World Cancer Day is an international day to raise awareness and encourage the prevention, detection, and treatment of this devastating disease that continues to be the second-leading cause of death worldwide. Luckily, advancements are being made all the time, and you can help! 

We’re thrilled to bring back one of your favorites – the Community Folding@home Challenge. When we last ran this challenge in August, you amazed us by helping the Cisco Meraki team rank at around 265 out of 255k teams worldwide and an impressive 102 for the month of September. Let’s see if we can do even better this time around! 

If you aren’t familiar, Folding@home takes your unused computer power and puts it to a good cause – helping researchers find potential cures for diseases! Here’s how it works: The software allows you to donate CPU/GPU cycles from your own computers/servers to run portions of these simulations for researchers and speed up results. This crowdsourced processing power cuts simulation time down from days or weeks to just a couple hours, allowing researchers to move quickly in finding a cure.

Over the next 30 days, the three community members who achieve the highest ranks among fellow members by donating their processing power towards Cisco Meraki team 243108 will be awarded fabulous Meraki prizes. 

Check out our first, second, and third place prizes:

First Place - Cisco Meraki North Face Apex DuffelFirst Place - Cisco Meraki North Face Apex Duffel

Second Place - Cisco Meraki Kopi MugSecond Place - Cisco Meraki Kopi Mug

Third Place - Cisco Meraki Nike Dri Fit CapThird Place - Cisco Meraki Nike Dri Fit Cap

In addition, everyone who joins the Cisco Meraki team and earns at least 200 "Credits" towards fighting cancer will be entered into a random drawing for one of three stylish pairs of Meraki Community socks:

Cisco Meraki Cloud socks.png

How to enter

If you have access to gaming computers, servers and/or even just a home PC, get started by following THIS link. Once you’ve set up your account and selected “Cancer" as your cause, share your username in a comment on this blog post before 11 a.m. ET on Monday, March 4th. Only points credited to Cisco Meraki team 243108 will be counted. To join the team, simply enter “243108” into the client setup when you install the client. 

On March 4th, we will announce the top three ranking community members, as determined by Folding@Home’s scoring. We'll also announce the 3 randomly selected winners from the rest of the Folding@home Cisco Meraki team. That means even if you aren't able to contribute at a high enough level to compete for the top ranks, you'll still have a chance to win sweet swag! 

You must post your username here to be eligible. Note that your comment on this blog post containing your username will be public and visible throughout the contest. If you already have credits to your username on the Cisco Meraki team, we will only be counting the credits you earn between now and March 6th.

The fine print:

For more information regarding Folding@home, please see useful links below:

Folding@Home FAQ

Creating a User and Joining Team 243108

More about "folding"

21 Comments
Leinad77
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I for one am psyched to get folding and see how we can crush it this year!

Nathaniel_Hang
Conversationalist

I’m in!  Let’s do this!!

Folding as Nathaniel_Hang

Justin_Valiant
Just browsing

I'm in too! 

Folding as Its.Pench

GeneB
New here

Just kicked it off.

SteveDunmall
New here

We are in!

Folding as Total IT

CloudStrife
Getting noticed

Okay, it's time to get to folding.

GGU
Conversationalist

Go for help !

Folding as : Maltesers

Pumilio
Here to help

Folding as Pumilio

riles0nic
Here to help

excited for another challenge, folding as: rileyp

RARAO_PROINF
Here to help

very much excited.

ShaunH
Comes here often

excited for the challenge, folding as shahil2013

AndyNg
Comes here often

Joined as itgroup_club_vietnam

Pumilio
Here to help

I see alot have masive amounts of Wus (dont know what it stands for)

Is this VM / physical computers or other things?

Never done it before. 

riles0nic
Here to help

@Pumilio a WU is a Work Unit, you can use physical or virtual computers to run folding@home.

Each WU is worth a certain amount of points and the faster you complete the WU the more points you will earn from it. 

Essentially the folding @ home project is one where many people work together to help researchers simulate large amounts of data for things like Cancer Research, I can't do it justice at all but there is lots of videos and articles that explain the purpose really well. 

MartinH
Just browsing

I'm in! 

Folding as MartinHronsky

NavyXC
Conversationalist

Back in it - folding as navyxc

mrsedam1
Here to help

Back again this year, folding as mr.sedam

Alright2644
New here

Join late but I am trying my best

folding as alright2644

CarolineS
Community Manager

Thank you all for folding; this contest is now closed! Calculating the winners now, stay tuned!

CarolineS
Community Manager

@ShaunH / @GeneB / @CloudStrife - Please check your PMs! Need your team names in order to include you in the calculations. I'll do the final calculations tomorrow around 11am pacific time, so please get back to me by then if you'd like to be included. Thanks!

UPDATE: Apologies, I have found your usernames! Please ignore this comment 🙂

CarolineS
Community Manager

UPDATE: we crunched the numbers and have our winners! Based on the scores earned as of March 4th, the top three winners rank as follows:

🥇1st Place: @Nathaniel_Hang (folding as Nathaniel_Hang) with 1,205,401,254 credits earned

🥈2nd Place: @NavyXC (folding as navyxc) with 792,390,960 credits earned

🥉3rd Place: @riles0nic  (folding as rileyp) with 580,823,490 credits earned

In addition, we randomly selected three winners from the entrants to receive a pair of Meraki Community socks: @mrsedam1@ShaunH, and @SteveDunmall!

Stay tuned for an email from us with details about how to claim your prize!