network access on wireless

Cyrus777
Here to help

network access on wireless

we are planning to move from network access with pre-shared key to wpa-enterprise with meraki cloud authentication across a midsize company. I would like to get some guidance if someone has already done this. 

TY

7 Replies 7
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

If should be really easy to setup if you're using Meraki for authentication and creating your user logins. I would just test it really quick by creating an SSID (hidden) if it's just you. Then try it there with a created user. 

kYutobi_0-1701356231831.png

Enthusiast
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi,

Here is all that you need to know.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Configuring__WPA2-Enterprise_with_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki authentication may be challenging to maintain at the scale of a "mid-size" company.

Also check out the "Trusted Access" feature - but note this needs a Systems Manager licence for every user.
https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Trusted_Access_for_Se... 

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Just curious @PhilipDAth because I'm trying to guess your number 😁 "mid-size". Where would you stop scaling through Meraki authentication? I've usually done 40 but 20/20 split between networks.    

Enthusiast
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I was thinking of 200 to 500 employees.

Creating separate accounts with a password not linked to their other systems will result in much work constantly resetting passwords (most likely a daily service ticket to resolve).  And if they have multiple devices, every time that password is reset they'll have to re-enter it on the other devices that were working but which have now broken.

I think I would use Meraki Authentication for up to 20 users.  How have you found the administrative effort using this approach with 40 users?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

It's not too much of a burden since it wont move up from 40 but I definitely see your point when you say 200 to 500 😳😲😲. Wouldn't even suggest 😂

Enthusiast

I manage just over 1100 users with 802.1x using a cloud based directory which works well for us.

Meraki Auth IMO would be fine for a small amount of users provided staff retention was good. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels