multiple close sites (MX/MR) with the same SSID

Fahd0
New here

multiple close sites (MX/MR) with the same SSID

Hello

We are working in a far place that doesnt have any infrastructure so I am using MX68 with 4G coverage to get Internet access to my users.

We have 10 close rooms that consists of (one MR46 attached to one MX) for each room, and they all advertise the same SSID (1 MR for each MX separate network) to serve constant wireless-users, few room has 2 MX and 2 MR.

I have to place multiple MX/MR to overcome the user limitations at MX68 as I have about 300 user in the same place but MX68 can handle only about 50 user max.

yes the MR46 can handle up to 200, but the MX here is the orchestrator.

I don't have budget now to get larger MX.

so the question is, should I place all the MRs at one Meraki network ( at the dashboard) so they can handle the frequencies/bandwidth together to ovoid any possible interference?

and would that support user roaming and switching? Would the user keep its IP from the first MX? or might be confused.

** or that wont help as their MXs are different?!

Thanks 

5 Replies 5
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am completely unsure if I get your problem right. But what restricts you from using one central MX (well larger model like the MX95) and connect all APs with a couple of switches? That would be the traditional design and roaming will directly work.

Unfortunately I have to use the current available resources.

simplifying the question:

Does placing multiple MRs in the same meraki network helps them to negotiate over the RF/bandwidth settings.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, that will help for automatic RF settings if the APs can "hear" some of the others. But it will not help with roaming as all client have their own IP settings behind each MX.

great thanks, I was searching for article to confirm that

but there is no global setting within my organization dashboard to let them negotiate with each other once they all mine and broadcast the same SSID?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is not a global setting, as it is site/network specific. All this stuff is controlled in the RF-Profiles that you have available on the Wireless config in each site. The default uses auto settings for all APs. With that amount of APs it could be useful to limit the channel width to 20MHz to help the system to find a good channel for each AP. And with 4G Internet, you likely don't need high throughput on the APs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels