introductory questions from a newbie here....please be nice :)

NYMetsFan
Just browsing

introductory questions from a newbie here....please be nice :)

Hi so i am new to the Meraki world and recently picked up a new client with a very vanilla setup (small office with a single access point). Im off-site so i don't have 8x5 experience to what's happening on their network

i am trying to get caught up and review the dashboard, set up alerts...basic configurations like that.  I have only been on-site twice but there seem to be more wifi errors and disconnects then should be happening.

How "good" are the RF Profiles and is it recommended they be used? (i feel like i should apply the open office profile)

any suggestions for "good" alerts to enable to help me keep good tracking of issues? (i have already enabled some)

I am not sure if a site survey was done. 
I did see the curriculum link and will be reviewing some of that to get up to speed.

Any other recommendations for a newbie getting up to speed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you to start reading the documentation.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

i am...but also this is a VERY simple setup....

thank you

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Was the network setup before they became your client or have you installed it?

1. Have you checked wifi drivers or up to date.

2. What method of authentication are they using.

3. Is the access point showing any interference?

4. What channel is the access point using, if it's set to a static channel try changing it to Auto.

the network was set up before i showed up. 
yes i have made sure wifi drivers are current.
im periodically getting "poor signal quality" alerts (just set some up last week) which points out to suboptimal RF configuration. im also getting some association and authentication errors
it's set for WPA-PSK
I'll double-check the channel.

It seems like using one of the pre-configured templates (the office one) might be a good thing to use.  the previous vendor didn't use one.  That's what i wanted some feedback about...are the templates a good thing to use?

thanks

Sander
Here to help

In my experience the "association and authentication errors" are probably caused by clients that try to connect while having a very low connection signal, therefore losing packets. With only 1 AP, the question would be what is the office layout, how many rooms etc. Also, what Reg. Domain is your network set to, as this may impact the signal level the AP is maxed out on.

But: even on Europe with max power being the lowest, mostly the bad connection is due to Clients not being able to reach the AP, so turning the AP to the max (what happens if you use one of the default profiles) will not help. As you have only 1 AP, there is no option to tune the RF to get a good distribution.

So for one AP:
- Verify in wifi profile if channel and power is auto
- Check RF interference in the RF menu, change the channel on 2.4 Ghz if this is the case
- Check if 5 Ghz is enabled in RF Profile
- In the profile disable the speeds below 12 Mbits

- Share a floorplan for more advice. Because good RF planning starts with that.

Hi Sander...

thanks for the good points here....5GHZ is enabled channel and power are auto.

what do you mean by this: Also, what Reg. Domain is your network set to, as this may impact the signal level the AP is maxed out on.

and what about enabling the "office" profile? that seems to be preconfigured...i am wondering if others have used it

Sander
Here to help

Hi NYMetsFan, under network-wide - general, what country/region/reg.domain is your network set to.This determines how loud your AP can go on power settings.

Then my quick check about signal would be, when users are connected, go to the AP under Wireless, look at the current clients connected, and check their signal strength. If there are users under 20dB than most of the time you need more than 1 AP to cover the area. As said, floorpans would help. There is only so much you can configure to adjust RF coverage, and turning up the AP most of the time does not help (as it is the client that is the limiting factor).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels