iPhone/iOS Causing Lots of AP Spoof Event Alerts

Solved
NickyFresh
New here

iPhone/iOS Causing Lots of AP Spoof Event Alerts

I'm noticing a ton of AP spoof alerts in the logs across ALL of our client sites. We have dozens of Meraki customers. All different orgs and different environments, but one universal thing I am seeing is numerous AP spoofs everywhere.

NickyFresh_0-1648078977782.png

When I check the alert details and cross reference the dst MAC to the clients page I am seeing that each one is an iPhone with iOS 15.

Event Details:

NickyFresh_0-1648093118415.png

Client Details:

NickyFresh_0-1648092320488.png

The alerts are only showing when the buildings are occupied (roughly 7AM to 6PM). They seem to float throughout the building (spanning multiple floors). There is no other wireless equipment at our customer sites. It's all Meraki APs and Meraki switches or Meraki APs and Cisco switches.

We've seen a huge influx of connectivity issues over the last few months. Some of that seems to have been solved by updating to 28.6, but issues still remain. I am trying to get to the bottom of these alerts and figure out if they are the source of the connectivity problems.

Wondering if anyone has seen this or if they can check their event logs and let me know if this is common.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

From what I gather firmware 28 might show false positives for AP spoofs and engineering is working on root cause & a fix. Sounds like it's purely a cosmetic issue at the moment.

I see a few occurrences of it on my network. And checked some other larger networks and they also see a number of events especially if they've seen a lot of connected clients. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NickyFresh I suspect this is because of Apples private MAC address feature. 

Meraki says the randomized MAC stays the same for a given SSID:

If an Apple user upgrades to iOS 14 and visits your location, their device will connect to the network with a randomized MAC address. This MAC address is different from the device MAC address, is SSID specific, and will remain the same for a given SSID.

Source: https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Meraki_and_iOS_14_MAC....

It doesn't sound like the MAC is randomly changing hour to hour.

Apple says:

After the device successfully connects using a private address, that MAC address is used for future connections to that Wi-Fi network. Exceptions:

• Starting with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and watchOS 8, if the device hasn’t joined the network in 6 weeks, it uses a different private address the next time it joins the network.
  • If the device is made to forget the network, it will also forget the private address it used with that network, unless it has been less than 2 weeks since the last time it was made to forget that network.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211949 

Our clients are the same day in and out. We would see little if any visitor traffic.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

From what I gather firmware 28 might show false positives for AP spoofs and engineering is working on root cause & a fix. Sounds like it's purely a cosmetic issue at the moment.

I see a few occurrences of it on my network. And checked some other larger networks and they also see a number of events especially if they've seen a lot of connected clients. 

@Ryan_Miles thank you!

Has there been an update on this? I am experiencing these spoofs on my network. Seems to be Iphone 11 or older.

Looks like the MR30.3 release has a fix out now for this!

Per release notes: 

Bug fixes

• APs reporting other in-network APs as spoofs
StefanvdL
Just browsing

Hi there, We use MR46 AP's with firmware version 29.5.1 and still see spoofs from iPhones, iOS 14 and later. 

Is there an update about this issue? 

Thank you in advance! 

Stefan

van604
Getting noticed

glad this popped up, this was driving us mad trying to figure out, monitoring this thread for more details.  thanks in advance

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels