iPhone connection issues

johnny_5
Here to help

iPhone connection issues

Recently rolled out a custom splash for our Guests with "Click thru" turned on. Security is set to Open (no encryption).

For some reason only iPhone clients are affected - they are unable to join the network, 2 users received a message:

"Unable to join the network "Guest" This network is operating on wi-fi channels in use by several other nearby networks".

Android devices are unaffected in our testing...I had one user circumvent the issue by resetting their network connection on the iPhone which worked apparently. Surely this cant be the only option for users?

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe Apple devices try to retrieve this URL to test for access:
http://captive.apple.com/hotspot-detect.html

I think Apple has made some other recent changes in the last 3 months as well.

You might need to make this reachable prior to the splash page - I'm not sure.

Or maybe it needs to be blocked until after the splash page has been clicked.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It is slowly coming back to me.  I recall that Apple have added some new DHCP options you can set to tell the device the splash page it should use.

I can't find anything on Google about it at the moment, but I'm pretty confident on this one.  It just needs more Google searching.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I could be wrong but I think this might be what you're referencing

How to modernize your captive network - Discover - Apple Developer

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is it!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you go to purple wifis website, they have a good guide about what sites you need to allow for the splash page.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels