gtk per vlan for same ssid

Solved
QuestionMan
New here

gtk per vlan for same ssid

I want to know if you support setting up at GTK pr VLAN for users that are on the same SSID but gets assigned to different VLANS.

The goal is for broadcast and multicast to be limited per vlan instead of pr ssid. Aruba Instant On does not have this feature, maybe Meraki is better?

Cambium Networks has it:

image.png

Does Meraki have a similar feature? I was unable to find it by searching online.

Regards,
Maybe future Meraki user

1 Accepted Solution

Yes, It's support, but there is no any feature or configuration about GTK.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Mreaki does not support GTK.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I find that hard to believe. So Meraki wireless devices do not support sending any kind of broadcast or multicast messages?

Yes, It's support, but there is no any feature or configuration about GTK.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Multicast_support

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Multicast-Unicast_Conversion

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I think it would be useful to understand the use case here, but maybe check this out - this maybe addresses the need...?   https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Encryption_and_Authentication/Wi-Fi_Personal_Network_(WPN)   It's definitely not the same technically - but might address the need?  Anyway - would be good to understand what the customer is trying to achieve / avoid..?

Forgot my password for my account/the password I saved no longer works. I don't have access to the e-mail I used to sign up since you must agree to unsolicited marketing (which I'm not too fond of) to post questions on this form (which is a very odd requirements), but that aside here is the scenario:

It is a dorm.

We have multiple kitchens shared between several students. Every student has their own network in their room on their own VLAN for legal reasons. Every student has a RADIUS login where devices get assigned to their VLAN id. The individual logins are created/deleted as they move in/out. Every kitchen has its own VLAN.

We have a common wifi that lets students connect to their own network via their RADIUS login. The idea was to another WPA2-Enterpise SSID for the kitchens. Once a student login there, the RADIUS server will assign the user to the VLAN of their kitchen instead of their personal VLAN id. Why? So they can access a cable-connected Chromecast on the kitchen VLAN to stream Netflix or similar.

One could have an Nvidia shield or another streamer, but they work best with permanent logins. Chromecast is perfect for shared kitchens as you "log on" to the service when you cast the video.

Chromecast requires multicast to be discovered. Ideally, we would also like to support other IoT devices that use broadcast. With a shared broadcast domain (via the shared GTK, that does not care about the VLAN ID), multicast and broadcast packages meant for one kitchen can be seen by other kitchens on the Kitchen WPA2-Enterpise SSID. This is unwanted.

The students can set up their own wifi router in the kitchens, but the idea was to avoid this to have less RF noise and maybe a better overall experience by doing it centrally. Also, since we already have wifi APs in the kitchens, we wondered if switching to Cisco or Meraki would give us some new options.

Using iPSK might be a solution, but it would be yet another password for the students to remember. It would be nicer to avoid the need for yet another shared password. The idea of the individual password is that the logins stop working once they move out automatically. Resetting the iPSK password every time a student move in/out would be overkill/not user-friendly. Having different passwords for each student would properly be chaotic/hard to explain to the students.

Therefore, while it looks like WPN could work, it is not what I asked about in the first place. We would also like to keep using RADIUS for user management rather than having to create users manually.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels