Wirless - Identity PSK w/ Radius - do I need CALs for each device?

Solved
B_Seiler
Here to help

Wirless - Identity PSK w/ Radius - do I need CALs for each device?

If we decide to connect our devices to the Wi-Fi network using Meraki Identity PSK with Radius, I have to create a user in AD and name the user after the device's Mac Address. I have tested this and it works. My question is: Do I need a user CAL for every industrial device that will be entered into AD? Currently these devices (industrial sensors, etc.) are not in AD. The ONLY reason they will exist in AD is for Wi-Fi Auth to get them on the network.

I've also heard of device CALs, which may be cheaper. Anyone have any insight?

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With Windows NPS, you need a CAL for every user/device authenticating. You can choose to licence users or devices. Once you use one type of licence, you have to keep using it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don’t know as I am not really into Windows … But for this use case I would also consider FreeRADIUS. It could also save you some time entering all the MAC addresses.

Thank you

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

With Windows NPS, you need a CAL for every user/device authenticating. You can choose to licence users or devices. Once you use one type of licence, you have to keep using it.

Thank you, I was afraid of that! OK, good to know, much appreciated.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels