Wireless client failing auth - forget/disconnect

mrjelly
Here to help

Wireless client failing auth - forget/disconnect

Hello,

I have alerts on clients failing to authenticate with the wireless network through the Meraki APs. However I appear to have a client that is constantly failing authentication which is muddying the reporting.

If I choose to 'disconnect' the client does this mean they will need to re connect the wirelss and put in the correct password etc?

What about 'forget client'

thank you

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe this will not work unless you have recently changed your password.

Are 802.11r and 802.11w enabled on the SSID by any chance? If so, have you tried disabling these features?
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
mrjelly
Here to help

Thanks for getting back, they are both disabled.

I am trying to track down who it is but any advice in addition to that tactic will be great.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You can't proactively prevent a client from trying to authenticate, as far as I know.   Keep trying to find them and get them to fix their incorrect cached credentials.  Unless, by some coincidence the device is managed using Systems Manager and you didn't notice this before 😁

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A really common case for this is when authenticating against AD, the user changes their password but doesn't change the password on their mobile.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels