Wireless Google OAuth User field showing anonymous@"domain.com" instead of login username

Solved
logxkwan
Conversationalist

Wireless Google OAuth User field showing anonymous@"domain.com" instead of login username

Hi,  When you use Meraki Desktop client : At the Network-wide -> Monitor -> Clients menu.  When select a Status = Wireless / "Windows OS" client connection to get its status, its User field shows anonymous@"domain.com" instead as the Google OAuth user ID.  Based on my observation, this is only happened to Windows OS client.  The Apple Device type (Pad/Phone/Mac computer) clients all show the correct Google user ID at the User field. Anyone has issue with this?

SSID security configured with Enterprise with Google OAuth with defined Allowed domains.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 155843.png

1 Accepted Solution
logxkwan
Conversationalist

Has found the issue from internal team doing more triage. The issue as the user set up the Windows WIFI TTLS property which select the "Enable identity privacy" turn on. This will cause the user name will be shown as anonymous. This cause showing the WIFI SSID client -> user as aynonymous.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure but is it a problem related to multiple authentication factor?

alemabrahao_0-1702675396027.png

@GreenMan Any insights?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
logxkwan
Conversationalist

Hi all,  Just want to clarify that the user can login to the Google OAuth enabled SSID. (with user has 2FA + App password setup as a prerequisite.)  The issue reported here is when Monitoring the WIFI Client which the "User" field is showing anonymous@"domain.com" instead of the right user name who is login from that computer to the Google OAuth enabled SSID.  Anyone has experience with the same issue?

logxkwan
Conversationalist

Get more info from the Cisco Meraki support team.  Still the issue is working on Windows OS clients before why this is not working now.  I have put comments on my support ticket.  Waiting for Support to reply.

---

The dashboard displays "user" based on what is supplied by the client device. In the 802.1X protocol, there are two IDs inner and outer. The dashboard can see only the outer ID as the inner ID is hidden. If no outer ID is reported by the client device then the user in the dashboard shows up as "anonymous". Note that the clients with valid credentials should still be able to authenticate and the way "user" is displayed on the dashboard should not affect that.

logxkwan
Conversationalist

Has found the issue from internal team doing more triage. The issue as the user set up the Windows WIFI TTLS property which select the "Enable identity privacy" turn on. This will cause the user name will be shown as anonymous. This cause showing the WIFI SSID client -> user as aynonymous.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels