Wireless Devices Showing as Wired - No Policies Applying

KSS
New here

Wireless Devices Showing as Wired - No Policies Applying

I've seen this posted once but that answer just doesn't work for me (laptop hotspot or something like that).

I have a few Chromebits, some iPhones, and a Roomba that all show up as being wired but they aren't and can't be. All of these devices also have never been tethered to any wired devices either.

Does anybody know what is going on with this? I think it's messing with the wireless policies I'm trying to apply ie: Whitelisting on wireless

The issue this causes is that the splash pages still try to load for approval even though it should due to the whitelist policy but since the dashboard think it's wired I don't think it tries to apply the policy.

The other odd thing is that I can even see it getting a proper VLAN IP address but the VLAN ID doesn't show correctly in the dashboard either. I've also given these devices DHCP reservations in addition to this on the correct subnet but they still don't work properly because the splash page still loads up. I have 50+ other devices where this works no issue too, just confused.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are APs connected to Meraki switches? Do you have MX on your network? If so, is authentication configured for a wired network as well? By VLAN for example, because that justifies the behavior.

Please provide more details of your network.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Meraki APs and Switches, no MX. Everything, as far as I can tell, is purely VLAN based.

If you see the picture in my other reply, the devices will even show a switch and port number but that isn't even the same switchport that the AP it's using is connected to either. I'm just confused, especially with the correct subnet IP address but wrong VLAN ID part.

I honestly just don't know enough but I'm trying my best to pick up as much as I can. I appreciate any information you think may help.

Thanks!

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Most likely  due to the way you are viewing the clients from the clients table... Especially so if you have the full stack and multiple vlans you need to be as specific as possible to include time frame or the DB just grabs the first result it has in the table. As you make  granularity refinements, this changes.

TBHPTL_0-1695573164518.png

I don't think this has anything to do with it though. Regardless of the granularity of the client list these very specific devices always show up with the wired icon and when you go into the details page for each one they show the "current client connection" in the correct chain(wireless to AP) but then under the Usage section where the policies and wireless IP would be listed, it's missing the policies and sometimes will show the correct IP but wrong VLAN ID. All other 99.99% of devices without this issue show their correct IPs, correct VLAN IDs, and have the policies section directly to the left of the IP and MAC information.

Wired.png

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Change the usage from last day to last 2 hours...

For me, this doesn’t change anything for any of the devices with this problem.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels