WiFi Calling -Cellular Soft Handoff

gcarmich
Getting noticed

WiFi Calling -Cellular Soft Handoff

Does Meraki support soft handoff between Wifi calling and cellular networks?

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe it'll help you.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Seamless_Roaming_with_MR_Access_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
gcarmich
Getting noticed

Thank you.  This covers AP to AP handoff.  Im more interested in handoff to cellular networks.  This would require interconnections with the MNO networks like Verizon, AT&T, or TMobile in the USA.

I'm pretty sure that it's not possible.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I think you are confusing it with this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Cellular/Introduction_to_Cellular_Technology_on_Meraki

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

The best way to test how a device will roam (between APs and cellular) is by using a bit of software called nOversight - it works by pulling the logs directly off of the iPhone. 

It's best using macOS connected to an iPhone but there is also an iOS app that you can use. 

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

You should also check out something like private 5G from Celona… what's great about Celona is that it'll plug directly into your enterprise network. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is a cellular device/carrier issue.  Nothing to do with Meraki.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth on iPhone this setting is under Mobile > Wi-Fi Calling. It has nothing to do with the wifi hardwares configuration at all. 

Ports still have to be open on whatever firewall you have and access to the IP unrestricted 

gcarmich
Getting noticed

Thank you.  I appreciate the responses.

For soft handoff between cellular and WiFi you need a connection between the cellular core network and the WiFi controller.  For authentication and coordination of the handoff.  I thought this was an idea that was getting traction a few years back but maybe it never went anywhere.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels