WiFi Bridge advise

Adrian4
Head in the Cloud

WiFi Bridge advise

Hello,

I know not strictly a Meraki question but im pulling my hair out trying to find a wifi bridge and hoped someone here would be able to recommend one (disclaimer, if Meraki sold a Bridge, id buy it).

I have gone through ubiquiti's website trying to find something (way harder than it should be) and every product that seems like it can do bridging is sold out or unavailable (in the UK). This seems to be true for all third party suppliers too 😞

I cant find any other brands either. The only other bridges I can find are micky mouse rubbish on amazon.

Id ideally like a 1 Gbps, 60Ghz with a 5Ghz backup.
but - at this point id settle for 300Mbps, 5Ghz  

Its only for a short range, maybe 150 meters ish.

any suggestions?

5 Replies 5
Jinbe
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Adrian ,

Are you looking for a way to extend the wireless medium with a mesh link? 

If so, does something like this implementation suffice? 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireles...

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Adrian4
Head in the Cloud

Cheers, that's quite interesting. So I can plug the remote AP into a switch and the connection will pass through?

What about range? I cant really purchase the APs, hire in the cherry picker to mount it only to find the signal isn't good enough 😕

Adrian4
Head in the Cloud

also noticed this...

As a general wireless networking rule, each wireless hop in a mesh network reduces the throughput of the link in half. As a result, wireless mesh networking may not be the most viable solution for environments that are required to support high-bandwidth or latency-intolerant applications. Meraki recommends limiting the amount of wireless hops to one (1) unless more are absolutely necessary to serve additional wireless clients.

one of the things going over this link will be a bunch of high-definition live security camera steams - dunno if that counts as latency-intolerant but i wouldnt be surprised.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is running a fibre link not possible at all? 

fraid not, that was the first option we looked at 😞

I just found these airMAX NanoBeam 5AC - Ubiquiti Store United Kingdom

going to see if they are available anywhere

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels