Wi-Fi planning with MX68W

Solved
Jyrki_Halonen
Getting noticed

Wi-Fi planning with MX68W

I'm making Wi-Fi planning to office floor-map. In the tool I'm using there are no Meraki MX devices configured, but all MR models are there. Does someone know which MR model would be closest to MX68W when comparing Wi-Fi 2 and 5 GHz coverage?

1 Accepted Solution
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

An MX with Wireless option, will always run "by itself" meaning that if you have MR's won't exchange mobility messages with the MX. Thus, if you have the same SSID broadcasting from your MX as you have on your MRs, roaming between MX and MR will not be seamless, and your clients will go through a complete Association/Authentication. They are two completely different, and not-connected mobility domains.

Do not assume an MX with Wireless has the same capabilty as and interoperability with MR's

MX with wireless is primarily only for those remote branch offices, where you don't really have any infrastructure other than your MX, and only need to cover two or three desks in the same room.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I am not aware of any charts for the wireless MXes. But as a rule of thumb (also from my old MX64W), I would only assume coverage in the room and maximum in the adjacent room when typical office walls are in place. I would always use a non-Wireless MX and dedicated APs for everything else.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

An MX with Wireless option, will always run "by itself" meaning that if you have MR's won't exchange mobility messages with the MX. Thus, if you have the same SSID broadcasting from your MX as you have on your MRs, roaming between MX and MR will not be seamless, and your clients will go through a complete Association/Authentication. They are two completely different, and not-connected mobility domains.

Do not assume an MX with Wireless has the same capabilty as and interoperability with MR's

MX with wireless is primarily only for those remote branch offices, where you don't really have any infrastructure other than your MX, and only need to cover two or three desks in the same room.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @rhbirkelund , but if I were to use one of the MR models I would use the MR36 which has similar characteristics

Another observation, if in the future you are thinking about placing more APs, remember that the MX works standalone, that is, if you place an MR on site they will not exchange any radio frequency information.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels