Why does the Total TX Power (conducted) decrease as MCS rate increases?

gcarmich
Getting noticed

Why does the Total TX Power (conducted) decrease as MCS rate increases?

I reviewed the RF Performance table for the MR86 and noticed that the Total TX Power (conducted) decreases as the MCS rate increase:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Overview_and_Specifications/MR86_Datasheet

1. Why does the Total TX Power (conducted) decrease occur?  

2. What is Total TX Power (conducted) measured in?

Thank you,
Gil

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Rememver 1mW = 0dBm which is the reference value. dBm value is equal to 10log(power in mW/reference value).

This will result

0.1mW= -10dBm

1mW = 0 dBm (Reference value)

10mW = 10dBm

100mW = 20dBm

1000mW = 30dBm

To estimate other values we use rule of 10 (10 times in mW = + 10dB or 1/10th of power = -10dB) and rule of 3 (double the power in mW = +3dB or half the power = -3dB).

if you go by that then 40mW = 10mW x 2 x 2 which is same as 10dBm+ 3dB + 3dB = 16dBm

So 100mW-> 40 mW is same as 20dBm -> 16dBm which is -4dBm

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

This is the basics of Radio Frequency, so I suggest you read this article and I also suggest you study a little about the basics of wireless.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/23231-powervalues-232...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you!  I'll check out the article.

Is the Total TX Power (conducted) measured in mW?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels