Splash page not being displayed on blocked sites on Meraki

Blessings
New here

Splash page not being displayed on blocked sites on Meraki

Good day everyone

Is there a way to display a Meraki Splash page for any blocked sites on ssid's instead of a "page not found"? something proffessional that can display "site not allowed on this network" page. please assist

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, as almost 100% of today's websites are HTTPS, you would need to do SSL inspection, and MR doesn't have that ability (and it doesn't even make sense).

The ideal would be to have a firewall that can perform SSL inspection.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Blessings this is normal behaviour and common across all brands of firewall. Here is an explanation from Sonciwall on why exactly.

Description

The Content Filtering block page is not showed when a website is blocked, instead an error web page is shown by the browser.

The issue happens only when reaching HTTPS Websites and occurs when HTTPS Content Filtering is enabled and DPI-SSL is not implemented. 

Cause

HTTPS Content Filtering is IP based, and will not inspect the URL. While HTTP content filtering can perform redirects to enforce authentication or provide a block page, HTTPS filtered pages will be silently blocked.

Resolution

This is an expected behaviour if the DPI-SSL (SSL Inspection) is not enabled.

The Block page always works if the traffic is HTTP while for HTTPS traffic it works only if the DPI-SSL is enabled otherwise the browser will show an error web page.

UKDanJones
Building a reputation

This is a case for a good firewall solution. I wouldn’t do any of this kind of thing directly from the AP

Please feel free to hit that kudos button
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels