Speed issue with Ci9164 MR

Amit_pal
Getting noticed

Speed issue with Ci9164 MR

We replaced our MR42's with Ci9164 MR(We are not running 6GHZ , since that option is not available in india) and also upgrade our DIA circuit to 1Gig.. the Speed on LAN is 800Mbps but on WIFI is 300Mbps..Any thoughts what could be causing this ?

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, everything will depend on the Wifi standard the device supports.

alemabrahao_0-1712860140423.png

https://standards.ieee.org/beyond-standards/the-evolution-of-wi-fi-technology-and-standards/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wifi is a complicated beast, the local environment such as what the building is made of as well as interference from other wireless systems play a huge part in the speeds you can obtain. 

Have you tried using the Wireless > Monitor > Health page to see if that provides any advice.? 

Agree , the local environment does play a crucial role, but i'm sitting next to the AP it should not drop to 1/3rd of the BW we get on LAN..
Did check Health page , did not find an error 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What frequency are the clients using (2.4/5)?  What is the 5GHz channel width (20,40,80)? What type of clients are on the network?

Amit_pal
Getting noticed

We have enabled both 2.4 & 5 and i see clients  using both of them ..  we have mac and windows users connecting to the network Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 6.16.25 AM.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Disable 2.4Ghz.  You don't stand a chance of getting that to work.

On Windows clients, try running these two commands (and then rebooting) to disable WiFi power saving:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0

ps. You wont get 800Mb/s on WiFi unless you have perfect conditions.  The bandwidth is shared.  If you have two other businesses nearby, and they each use 1/3 of the spectrum - that only leads to 1/3 for you to use.  It can be bad in a CBD when there are 100s of companies.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Adding to what @PhilipDAth said, for the 5GHz band, make sure you have it set to either 40MHz or 80MHz if you need high speeds, but note that there are then a lot fewer channels and interference is much more likely.

Ultimately, are you looking for reliability, or outright single client speed?

K2_Josh
Building a reputation

I'd expect 300-500mbps, at least for a single client on 5 GHz.

The actual number is influenced by all sorts of things including RF interference, channel size, device type/chipset, device drivers/OS, device config (inc. power saving, as mentioned by @PhilipDAth) exact positioning/angle of the device to the AP, AP mounting, AP radio config, number of clients connecting/using the SSID/AP, etc.

You may want to test the bandwidth with multiple similar, ideally identical, devices at the same time to see if this might be a client-related limitation.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why speeds of over 300mbps+ per wireless client are important to your organization? Video streaming maxes out at 20-30mbps.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels