Setting Up Mesh Network with MX67W as Gateway and MR36 as Repeaters - Guest and Business VLAN WiFi?

Solved
Tech-Todd
Here to help

Setting Up Mesh Network with MX67W as Gateway and MR36 as Repeaters - Guest and Business VLAN WiFi?

I’m looking to set up a mesh network for a client using a Meraki MX67W as the gateway and 3 MR36 access points as repeaters. The goal is to broadcast two SSIDs: one for Guest VLAN WiFi and another for Business VLAN WiFi across the entire mesh network.

Before I proceed, I’d like to confirm if the following is possible:

1. Can the MX67W act as the primary gateway for this mesh setup, with the MR36 APs extending coverage as mesh repeaters?
  2. Is it possible to broadcast both the Guest VLAN and Business VLAN across all the MR36 APs in the mesh, ensuring proper isolation and functionality for both networks?

Any guidance on configuring this, or if there are any limitations with this setup, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It's not possible to use a WiFi equipped MX as a gateway for a Meraki mesh, so probably better you change your chosen Solution reply...

For clarity, this is from the Repeaters setion of the Mesh documentation:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking

"Note: Only Cisco Meraki access points can function as repeaters and gateways. Wireless MX security appliances, Z-Series teleworker gateways, and third-party access points cannot participate in a wireless mesh."

I'd recommend you use a non-WiFi MX and connect your didicated repeater MR (or CWxxxx-M) access point on the LAN side of the MX - then all should be good,  provided you have decent wireless connectivity between your repeater and your mesh APs and you don't over-subscribe the inter-AP channels too much.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

An MX with Wireless capability can not act as a mesh gateway, or contribute to Wireless Mesh in any other way.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Ok great I was skeptical but can’t test it out. So one AP would need to be directly wired to an mx67. Would the MR 36s be able broadcast two SSIDs over a mesh with another two MR36s

Yes, you can broadcast several SSIDs in a Mesh network.   Those can go to the same or to a different VLAN (Mesh supports VLANs since MR28.x).

Thanks. I don’t have the equipment to test it and I’m building a network out and didn’t want to assume and spend unwisely. 

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It's not possible to use a WiFi equipped MX as a gateway for a Meraki mesh, so probably better you change your chosen Solution reply...

For clarity, this is from the Repeaters setion of the Mesh documentation:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Wi-Fi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Wireless_Mesh_Networking

"Note: Only Cisco Meraki access points can function as repeaters and gateways. Wireless MX security appliances, Z-Series teleworker gateways, and third-party access points cannot participate in a wireless mesh."

I'd recommend you use a non-WiFi MX and connect your didicated repeater MR (or CWxxxx-M) access point on the LAN side of the MX - then all should be good,  provided you have decent wireless connectivity between your repeater and your mesh APs and you don't over-subscribe the inter-AP channels too much.

Yes @rhbirkelund actually answered that first. There are two parts to the answer and your response covers both of them. So I should be able to make your answer the true solution

Thank you for your help. I'm going to read the whole article in the documentation you provided. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels