SSID not Connecting to Local Lan

Solved
emmaozoms
Getting noticed

SSID not Connecting to Local Lan

Hello Guys,

Please I need a way out on the newly installed MS120-48PL and MR36. I Have Installed the MS120 and the Access Point. I tried to set the SSID to broadcast on Local Lan which is on VLAN 20 that I created in my router. I noticed when I set the SSID to tag the vlan20 the end devices won't be able to connect to the SSID created for the Vlan for the Local LAN. When I set it to use Meraki DCP it will allow end devices to connect to the SSID. I need a way out to resolve this issue. Thanks Guys. 

1 Accepted Solution

You need to configure the switch port in trunk mode by tagging VLAN 20 instead of access mode.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15
PatWruk
Getting noticed

Do you have the switchport set to trunk or access? If you're using a trunk then you need the vlan tagged, if you're using an access port don't add a tag.

Do you have the SSID set to layer 3 roaming or bridge mode?

It is set to access. 

emmaozoms_2-1713211649899.pngemmaozoms_3-1713211690906.pngemmaozoms_4-1713211721794.png

This is the setting I did

So the quickest way to do what you're looking to do would be to change the SSID you want to be part of the LAN to bridge mode. Do not add a VLAN ID. Everything else will continue to work the same way.

If you are going to want to add other VLANs eventually, you are going to want to change that to a trunk, but not required for what you are currently doing.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To use VLAN 20, did you configure the port to which the AP is connected in Trunk mode?

Can you share the switch port settings and SSID settings?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

emmaozoms_0-1713211245635.png

emmaozoms_1-1713211472784.png

@alemabrahao Thanks for the response. this is the setting I configured on the port the AP 

You need to configure the switch port in trunk mode by tagging VLAN 20 instead of access mode.

I will do as you said and will update you if it resolves it. is there other things I need to check apart from the trucking the Port?

Theoretically, that should be enough.

So when I apply this as you advised means the OfficeWifi SSID will issue IP on the Local Lan?

The OfficeWiFi will continue to use Meraki NAT.

Does your AP use a static IP or DHCP? By changing that to a Trunk you will have to add in the VLAN you want the AP to use for the management IP if you use static, originally VLAN 20.

If it's set to DHCP it will try to get an IP from the native VLAN (generally VLAN 1)

@PatWruk  the AP uses DHCP

My recommendation, leave it as an access port. Set your ssid that you want on local lan to bridge mode and don't enter a vlan tag. That should work

Noted. Do I need to click on the Layer 3 roaming? When I get to the office today I will test both the trunk and access as recommended.

It worked. The SSID now assign LAN IP. Thanks. 

It worked. The SSID now assign LAN ip.Thanks. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels