SMS authentication with inernational guest (Twilio)

Solved
Michael_K
Conversationalist

SMS authentication with inernational guest (Twilio)

Hi all,

we've set up a SSID with SMS authentication (default Meraki splash page) and corresponding Twilio account. All guest with a German mobile phone number can successfully register and receive an authentication code. Guests with mobile numbers outside of Germany always receive the error message 'You must enter a valid phone number' from Meraki's splash page.

Any idea where this problem could be located (Twilio, Meraki, etc...)?

Regards,

Michael 

1 Accepted Solution
Michael_K
Conversationalist

It looks like if it was a permission setting at Twilio:

Michael_K_0-1701243864725.png

Only Germany was marked as destination for outgoing SMS. We extended the settings and will do some tests. I'll keep you updated regarding the results.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you open a ticket with Twilio.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I just opened a ticket... The strange thing is, that I don't' see any mobile phone number request at Twilio besides German numbers... just if Meraki would do a phone number validation before sending any data to Twilio.

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'd suggest opening a Support case.

I ask as I'm curious whether the validation is happening on the Meraki side or if it is indeed Twilio returning that the number isn't valid - Support should be able to validate this if you open a case and provide an example number that is failing. E.g. we might be able to validate if you're using a trial Twilio account which bars sending to non-verified numbers and you're hitting error 21608.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Twilio is not reliable to use with International numbers.  I typically find it only works in the US.  I'm surprised it is working in Germany at all.

It doesn't work at all for numbers in my part of the world.

As a result, I never use SMS authentication for guest access.

Michael_K
Conversationalist

It looks like if it was a permission setting at Twilio:

Michael_K_0-1701243864725.png

Only Germany was marked as destination for outgoing SMS. We extended the settings and will do some tests. I'll keep you updated regarding the results.

Extending the "Geo-Permission" was the solution 👍.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels