Roaming Surface Laptop 4

MarkB77
Just browsing

Roaming Surface Laptop 4

Has anyone had any success changing the the Roaming Aggressiveness on the Intel Wi-Fi on Microsoft Surface devices ? Clients are roaming constantly even when connected to an MR56 AP with good signal.

9 Replies 9
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can try disabling the lowest bit rate on RF profile.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

What bitrate would you suggest ?  we have about 11 APs on this particular floor, less than 150 users.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

try active from bit rate 12 or 24.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the Intel wifi nic driver version if there's and known bugs or updates

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have run into LOTS of problems with the Intel WiFi chip set on Surface's.

I would disable power saving on the WiFi NIC with these commands to save yourself a lot of grief:

powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT 19cbb8fa-5279-450e-9fac-8a3d5fedd0c1 12bbebe6-58d6-4636-95bb-3217ef867c1a 0
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It could also be because of the AP performing client balancing (offloading a client to a less used AP).  You could try turning this off:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Radio_Settings/RF_Profiles#Client_Balancing 

If client balancing is causing your roaming - you could also hurt the WiFi network performance by turning it off to make sure users stay connected to the "strongest" AP.

Wonder if we are seeing this more due to active balancing on 29.x if that's now enabled by default 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That could easily be it.

Just checked and there are no 802.11v events in the logs even though balancing is enabled and supported on the client, maybe a driver issue...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels