Painted Access detects PC as a mobile device

ALEJO_AMAYA
New here

Painted Access detects PC as a mobile device

I WOULD LIKE HELP, SINCE WE CURRENTLY HAVE CREATED TWO WIFI ONE FOR ONLY WINDOWS AND MAC OS AND ANOTHER NETWORK FOR MOBILE DEVICES BUT WHEN WE ACTIVATE THE POLICIES SO THAT ONLY PCS CAN BE CONNECTED IN A NETWORK, SOME MERAKI DETECTS THEM AS MOBILE DEVICES, SOMEONE KNOWS HOW SOLVE THIS CASE.

4 Replies 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @ALEJO_AMAYA , i'm afraid the OS detection is pretty limited as you've discovered and your experience is pretty typical with this feature.

Do you have any other method of recognizing PC's and MAC's i.e via use of a domain and NPS?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The Meraki dashboard has NEVER shown devices or OS's accurately.

Meraki APs identify clients using a technique called OS fingerprinting. Each OS, and sometimes version of an OS, has a unique DHCP fingerprint. By examining a client’s DHCP request, we can tell which OS it is running.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your defect Caps-Lock key is much more severe than missing client classification ... 😉

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

🤣😂🤣😂 he’s clearly enraged 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels