PC can't get an IP address

Peter-DG
Here to help

PC can't get an IP address

Hello,

Between my meraki switch and access point, there is a non-meraki switch, this non-meraki switch isn't a managable switch (it has an ip of vlan 49), it connects to a meraki switch trunk port (native vlan 49). now we can see there are 3 SSIDs on this AP, which have 3 different vlan for them, a pc can get correct IP address from DHCP server (my MX device) when connecting to SSID A and B, but cannot get correct IP from SSID C (it get an IP 169.x.x.x) I can see error log "IP conflict" when connecting to SSID C. and if I change vlan for SSID C (to SSID B's vlan 50), it works. So i guess there is something wrong with vlans, could somebody help with this?

thanks

9 Replies 9
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What VLAN is SSID C?

Do you have that VLAN trunked all of the way to your MX?
Do you have DHCP server setup on the MX for that VLAN?

SSID C's VLAN is 49, A is 10 and B is 50
the Non-meraki switch connects to my meraki switch port 29 and this port is in trunk mode and native vlan is 49, and allow all VLANs through. Actually, those PCs connecting to the non-meraki switch can get IP addresses (of vlan 49) from dhcp server (my mx). the problem is the meraki ap connects to this non-meraki switch (it can get an ip of vlan 49) but those pcs connecting to this meraki ap can't get ip addresses.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your issue is most likely with VLAN tagging as you've got the native VLAN on the Meraki switchport.

Remove the VLAN assignment from SSID C and I would expect a connected client to then receive an IP address of VLAN 49.

I don't understand what you mean. I've tried to change the port 29 on switch to another vlan (native vlan 50) and then, a client can receive an IP of vlan 49 if I connect it to SSID C. but why it can't receive IP when the port is native vlan 49?

thanks.

Yes you're right, after I removed the VLAN assignment from SSID C, my pc got an IP address of VLAN 49, which is the native vlan on that switch port, and got an IP address of VLAN 46 after I changed the native vlan to 46 on that switch port. 

the thing is: I want to use different VLAN on SSID A, B and C. since these 3 SSIDs are broadcasting on the same APs, if I remove the vlan tagging from them, it will all get the same VLAN IP addresses. that's not what I want.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can still assign vlans on the SSID's. You just can't assign the same tag as the native vlan on the switchport. In the event you want an SSID to tag clients into the same VLAN that is native on the port, just leave that SSID as setting no VLAN tag.

Tony-Sydney-AU
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Peter-DG ,

It looks like your non-Meraki switch is manageable because it has an IP address within VLAN49 IP address range.

I suspect your non-Meraki switch has the port connecting to your Meraki switch configured as Trunk, Native VLAN = 49 and Allowed VLANs = 49 and 50. Probably you have the port connecting to your MR Access Point (AP)configure the same.

Therefore, check if you non-Meraki Switch has a configuration interface. Usually, you just put the switch IP on your web browser. I assume you have the administrator password.

Then, make sure you non-Meraki Switch has all the three VLANs associated with your SSIDs. Finally, configure the Trunk ports connecting to your MEraki Switch and to your AP as Trunk, Native VLAN = 49, Allowed VLANs = (all three VLANs).

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

I've talked with the vendor of this non-meraki switch, and they confirmed that this switch is not managable. yes it could be set an ip on it but no any other settings with IP or somethign else. when I input the ip address in browser and log in, there is no any settings I can change with the ports.

Peter-DG
Here to help

I've tried as @Brash said above to remove the vlan tagging from SSID C, and then my devices can get IP addresses. I've tried another way by adding another VLAN ID (50) to this AP (that means this SSID can assign different IP addresses according to the AP's tags), and now when my device trys to connect SSID C, it can get an IP address of vlan 50.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels