Outdoor MR Durability in a field - objects hitting it.

MSP-Network
Just browsing

Outdoor MR Durability in a field - objects hitting it.

The situation is a school where we have placed 10 of MR86 AP's (with ANT-20 and ANT-27 antenna's) on buildings around the field. Kids have been using the AP's as targets for their balls. Things like basketballs and soccer balls seems to have no effect (so far), but they we are concerned as other summer sports start. As an example field hockey balls, or worse, Lacrosse! I would like to know how rugged or durable these AP's and Antenna's are? Should I be looking at some sort of protection for these? And if so, what do you suggest? What have others used.  Other items like cameras on those walls have steel mesh around them, but steel would degrade the signal. Any documentation would also be helpful.  Thanks
4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've used ABS plastic enclosures in the past.  This is what small electrical enclosures are made of.  You can buy them from any electrical wholesaler.  ABS plastic is very tough.

As a bonus, you don't even need a waterproof one (most are waterproof with an IP rating).

This Google query is likely to find some in your area:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ABS+plastic+electrical+enclosure 

Thanks for your reply Philip.  My issue is twofold with the plastic boxes.  For one, most of them are ugly.  I have used nicer ones in places like a gym where they will get hit, but then the second problem is it is hard to find large enough ones to house a MR86 with two antenna's like the ANT-27.  You could do three boxes, but then you have to drill holes between the boxes and get extensions for the antenna cables - not the best look or way to apply this solution.  A manufacturer like Hubbell makes large sizes, but I don't think they are all that pretty and as the size goes up, they get very expensive.  I have not found a product that is both large enough, would look good and made for this application.

Does anyone know how durable these are?  There must be some specs on this. 

>For one, most of them are ugly.

What about putting a vinyl wrap on it then?  Or get the kids to spray paint them.  Or perhaps if you have a steel shop making decorative steel shapes to glue to the outside.

Perhaps giving the children a sense of investment in the project will make them want to damage them less.

>second problem is it is hard to find large enough ones to house a MR86 with two antenna's like the ANT-27

Electrical enclosures come in all sizes.  I guarantee if you go to an electrical wholesaler you'll find one big enough.  I'd put everything (antennas, the lot) inside of a single box.

I've used an ABS plastic electrical enclosure on the outside of an ocean-going ship before to house networking equipment.  Very harsh environment.  Worked fine.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As Phil suggested I would not rely on the equipment to protect itself from impact, while it hasn't caused you any issues so far I doubt this is a huge factor in the design factor, more consideration would have been put into performance and IP rating.

Not to mention impacts could void your warranty. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels