Options for Extending Wireless Guest Access

RLNG
Getting noticed

Options for Extending Wireless Guest Access

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on managing our wireless network’s guest access. Currently, our setup grants guest access for 24 hours via a built-in captive portal. However, we have a situation where we need to extend access for a group of contractors, ideally up to four months, without having to manually manage MAC addresses through a whitelist, which would be tedious and challenging to maintain.

We are not using Meraki Sentry, and I'm interested in understanding our options for a BYOD setup that would accommodate this need. Is there a way to manually adjust the expiration dates for specific devices or a more streamlined method to extend access for select users without frequent manual updates?

Any suggestions or experiences with similar scenarios would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

5 Replies 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The easiest option might be a second SSID using a splashpage with Meraki authentication. When you create a user you can set their account not to expire and when the work has finished either delete the users or the SSID.

What do you mean by "splash page with Meraki authentication."? This is how we are set up currently, everything related to Guest wifi never leaves Meraki. When I check the options I don't see anything that I can do that never expires. The only option I see it to whitelist the user/mac and it becomes forever....not something we want. 

This contract setup is a long-term deal so it's going to be needed for many years. It's hard for us to tell when a user comes and their contract ends etc.  I am looking for a more seamless option. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using Meraki Authentication for the guest portal?  You can enable that here:

PhilipDAth_1-1712897710486.png

Then just edit the account expiry in Network Wide/Users:

PhilipDAth_0-1712897620088.png

Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels