Odd issue with client

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Odd issue with client

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 11.26.57 AM.png

I am trying to work out what the above device is, it was connected once and sent 1KB of traffic. The port is was reportedly connect to has an internal WAP connected to it which isn't accessible without a ladder.

The SSID associated with the VLAN the client was connected to shows no logs for that MAC and the IP address isn't correct for that SSID nor a IP range that we even use. 

I'm at a loss as to what this device is.

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 11.34.29 AM.png

3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's an interesting one.

Finger in the air type of guess:

- The user connected to Wifi (I've sometimes seen the dashboard confuse a wireless user for a wired user)

- The device is using a randomized MAC, so likely an iphone or Android phone - although any device really can do this if setup to do so.

- It's possible the device either has a static IP address set, or that's the IP address it had last used

- Lastly, no idea why you wouldn't see any logs for the association of the client.

Thats why I am scratching my head with this one. I am assuming the device has a static IP set however it's not a range we use.

I'm at a loss.

CiscoAl
Comes here often

The fact that that MAC comes back with nothing in the MAC Vendor OUI lookup normally means its a randomly generated one, probably like Brash has said below a mobile device and the dashboard has confused wireless with wired 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels