No internet connectivity for some wifi clients

Solved
jrworley
Here to help

No internet connectivity for some wifi clients

Symptom:  Some clients once connected to our prod wifi can not get out to the internet.

Clients get an IP assigned from the correct scope, correct DNS and correct Gateway but cant get to the internet.

Can ping from the Client to the L2 switch but could not ping the gateway or to DNS

Gateway can ping clients from portal

work around for this so far is to set a static ip on the pc and then you can get out to internet.  Then set back to DHCP and it works properly.  

Mx105 Current version: MX 16.16

MS210 -Current version: MS 14.33.1

MR56 -Current version: MR 28.6.1 scheduled to upgrade tonight to  MR 28.7.1

1 Accepted Solution
jrworley
Here to help

Resolved -

We had two overlapping networks in the organization causing the intermittent issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Who Is your DHCP server and Default gateway. Have you performed a packet capture?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
jrworley
Here to help

The MX is the gateway and the DHCP server.  Have not been able to run a pcap yet

If you configure some port on your MX or switch in the same VLAN, and connect a notebook with the internet cable, Do you have this issue?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Unfortunately Im not on site at the moment.  I will check next time im there

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hmm the fact if you set something to static and it works seems odd, can you confirm the DHCP scope is correct?

yea DHCP scope was correct and its been in prod for about 6months with no issues.  This has only happened with 3 devices so far.    Only about 26 users there and they have a /23 pool.  

jrworley
Here to help

Resolved -

We had two overlapping networks in the organization causing the intermittent issue.

How did you identify the overlapping network?  I am having a similar problem for any Windows PC devices that come into the building, especially if they roam throughout the school.  I only have Meraki APs - mostly MR46s.  If they are too close together, would that cause a network overlap?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels