Meraki teamplates

Solved
MThomas90
Conversationalist

Meraki teamplates

Hi All,

I wanted some advise regarding templates within meraki cloud dashboard. As it stands in my environment we have a number of access points spread over 8 different locations which are currently under the same configuration Template, which means if i perform an upgrade it will will upgrade ever single AP. I wanted to see if this is best practice or would it make sense to create a configuration template for each of the locations so I can stagger the AP firmware upgrades to specific locations ? or is there a way to target only specifc APS in a template to upgrade?

Thank you for your input

MT

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At that scale, I would tend to just upgrade all the APs at once.

If you are a bit nervous, and you have a lab, duplicate the current template, bind your lab network to it, and then upgrade that one first.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It will depend on the need of each one, that is, the rule has no right or wrong. In some cases, some people choose to have a single template to facilitate network management. In another, people choose to have a template for each location, but this is usually when you have some particularity for each location.

And is not possible to upgrade a specific AP on the template.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The benefit of a template is a single configuration & administration of multiple networks (sites). Doing a template per site would provide no benefit.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At that scale, I would tend to just upgrade all the APs at once.

If you are a bit nervous, and you have a lab, duplicate the current template, bind your lab network to it, and then upgrade that one first.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels