Meraki Access Points Coverage

TheAlchemist
Getting noticed

Meraki Access Points Coverage

Is there a datasheet for coverage area (square feet) or a coverage radius for Meraki Access Points.

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Look at this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/MR_Access_Point_FAQ#:~:text=This%20makes%20definiti....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
TheAlchemist
Getting noticed

So pretty much each access point from Meraki can cover 31416 sq m or 338159.01 sq feet of area?

Meraki access points equipped with omnidirectional antennas typically achieve a range of 100 meters.

But this is in theory, in practice it will depend a lot on the type of implementation.

In high-density environments, for example, we should consider one AP per square meter.

I particularly take into account the number of clients per floor x3 (considering that each user will have at least 3 devices) and considering up to 50 clients per AP (30 is recommended).

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'd really recommend conducting a full site survey - that will examine signal propagation in your environment.   Note too that (just) coverage doesn't guarantee good user experience;   take extreme example - an AP on the centre spot, with high gain omni antennas will provide coverage for a football stadium, but when all the fans arrive and want to connect, while they can see the AP, nothing will work.

As part of your site survey, have the designer and the testing address the number and type of client devices you will have, where they will be located and what applications they will be using.   They will likely need to think about density even more than coverage.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@TheAlchemist I'd echo what @GreenMan said, you really have to test it out.  For example in one site the range in a particular direction is no more than 4m as about 1m of that is solid brick.  In another site it is over 50m as there is much less in the way.  Sometimes even a glass window can totall block the signal, depending on coverings.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels