Meraki AP's unreachable at night

RichJ
New here

Meraki AP's unreachable at night

So this started happening the other night.  At 8:30pm local time they go offline and then come back at 6am the following morning.  The AP (MR33) still works and still shows the blue light during this time unless I reboot it and then it won't go online (or work) until 6am the following day.  It is plugged into a MS220P switch and there are absolutely no scheduling profiles or policies set anywhere on the network.  The switch and security device (MX64) are not affected nor is anything else on the network.

Is this a local issue or a cloud issue?  And if local what should I be looking for?

3 Replies 3
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @RichJ so I wasn't sure if this was one MR33 AP or multiple APs?  If multiple, they are all doing this behavior at the same time?  And if just a single AP, it's happening at those same times, night after night?  Has the MS220 switch been rebooted?  I'd also consider that to rule out a switch issue.  Review your change log and/or recent firmware updates just to see if anything lines up with the onset of this problem. 

Also, you mention the blue LED, which indicates at least 1 client is actively connected on at least 1 SSID.  Is the wireless network usable for the clients during that time?  If yes, perhaps it's a Dashboard connectivity related.  If the wireless is unusable for clients from 20:30 to 06:00 then it's more than just Dashboard connectivity.  Regardless it needs to be investigated.  Is there a Meraki Support case opened for investigation?  They can check if and how the MR33(s) are checking into Dashboard.  

I only have the one AP and any client connected to it never has any issues except for the time I rebooted it. 

There's nothing unusual in the event logs for the AP or the switch at the times that it goes offline and when it comes back online.  Nor is there anything prior to this issue starting.  As for the Change Logs, nothing has been changed  since 11:09am on August 30.

Good point about rebooting the switch as I hadn't done that only the AP and ADSL router/modem.

Actually I think I have found the issue: it's with the ADSL modem/router.  The Internet access restriction table has become corrupted and replaced one of the iPad MAC #'s with the AP's MAC #.

Ah, good find!  Perhaps whatever became corrupted (like a stale MAC address) in the Internet access restriction table in the ADSL modem was in nvram and persisted across reboots.  That would also explain why the wireless client(s) continued to work, as well as the MX and MS, but the AP itself was losing connectivity to Dashboard.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels