MR76 with one MA-ANT-25

EdgeFarming
Here to help

MR76 with one MA-ANT-25

Hi, 

I'm planning to use an MR76 with an MA-ANT-25 patch antenna to cover a a warehouse. The customer has only 5 Ghz devices, is it ok to connect just one MA-ANT-25 for the 5 Ghz band, or is it mandatory to connect two antennas for both bands?

Thanks

11 Replies 11
Mark_S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi EdgeFarming,

In your scenario, with an MR76, it is an acceptable option only to install the 5 GHz antenna. The requirement would be to ensure that the unused antenna connector is covered appropriately.
Our FAQ documentation covers this scenario in more detail and can be found at this link - Frequently Asked Questions for Cisco Meraki Access Point Antennas 

Specifically, the sections named 'Can I leave any AP antenna connectors unused?' and 'Can I leave unused connectors uncovered?'

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Thank you very much for your answer.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

On the MR76 specifically you can choose to use one band.

The only thing you must ensure is that you get some weatherproof caps to put on the 2.4 GHz N-type connections.

Since the MR76 is only 2x2 both bands are separated over the 4 N-type connectors.
You will need to connect the patch antenna to the bottom two connectors and weatherproof the top 2 to achieve your goal.

Best of luck!

Thank you very much for your answer.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are these APs already ordered? In most circumstances, I assume you would be better off with an MR46E and the dual-band patch antennas.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why would you assume that?  It depends on the environment.  I have seen good coverage with MA-ANT-27 and MR76's for wetter environments.

Especially in that period where the MR46E got the wrong max power setting due to the per element thing, the MR76 was a good option.

Price wise it's of course to see which one is cheaper, since MR46E is higher end but not weather proof.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Three reasons: Inside a warehouse, the AP typically doesn't need to be weatherproof, there is more channel flexibility for indoor usage, and the MR46E is cheaper than the MR76. 

But as noted, this was not general advice; it was just a hint in case this AP was not considered before.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's more clear what you mean 😉
I took a look at the listprices.  While the listprice is 200$ lower for the MR46E, the antenna price for MA-ANT-3-E6 is 300$ more expensive than the MA-ANT-25.

So I will give you the channel flexibility points 😉

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I also only looked at the list prices. I think on antennas, the discount is typically quite high. And especially with Acceltex/Ventev gear, some more euros/dollars/whatever can be saved. Another reason to consider: The outdoor APs have a shorter hardware warranty.

Not yet, but I need the MR76 because of the temperature of -10 celsius. Thanks!

Oh, ok ... and you could cool it down even more. 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels