MR44's using DHCP IP address but I have a static IP setup - WHY?

hockey
New here

MR44's using DHCP IP address but I have a static IP setup - WHY?

I have a new deployment of 23 MR44's.  7 have the static IP address info I assigned in the dashboard.  The other 16 are using a DHCP IP address for some reason instead of the static IP address info I assigned them like the other 7.  What gives?

How do I get the rest of the MR44's to take the static IP address?  I've tried rebooting them but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look at this.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Static_IP_Assignment_on_a_Cisco_Meraki_...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

The only way I could fix the problem was by removing the vlan setting under Edit for the AP. Once removed the AP accepted or changed to the static IP address.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It means that your VLAN is not tagged.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
kchand
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @hockey ,

Please be informed that this issue occurs when the MR device is not able to receive an ARP response from the configured gateway IP address. In order to maintain the dashboard connectivity the MR would have failed back to the DHCP, however, the device will be still sending ARP requests to your default gateway IP address.

So, I would suggest verifying the VLAN tagging on the management interface as well as the switch port to which the AP is connected. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/VLAN_Tagging_on_MR_Access_Points

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos.
If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels