MR36 client count indicated incorrect value

Alexkl_MA
Comes here often

MR36 client count indicated incorrect value

I recently built a wireless network for my client by tens of Meraki MR36 AP. I check AP status every day to make sure the network is fine. In general, there will be 300 to 600 devices on daily basis.  It had been running for nearly 3 months and no complain whatsoever.

Some events may be held in the office, so extra 200 to 300 visitors will be there. In the past 3 months, i found that nearly 31 clients had been still connecting after the event. The strange thing is that 1 or 2 MR36 APs reported this after office hour from 18:00 to 06:00. 1 of the AP installed to the reception area, reported nearly 31 clients had been connecting to the network for more than 6 days. Every visitors must pass that reception area to leave the office. I checked against the client count from AP-Summary-Current Clients and AP-Performance-Clients were 2 and 30 respectively. The workaround of this problem is to reboot the AP. The the problem may come back.

I wonder that if client count reach 32. The AP client count will not indicate a correct value. Deeply appreciate for any possible solution.

4 Replies 4
Alexkl_MA
Comes here often

Correct current client countCorrect current client countIncorrect client count fixed after AP rebootedIncorrect client count fixed after AP rebooted

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Has there been a recent MR firmware update applied by chance?

Are you sure there are not 31 IoT devices permanently in the office?  Printers, Chromecasts, Apple devices, etc?

Thanks PhilipDAth.

The MR firmware is 30.6. I am very sure that no device will put in that area because that is a common access area. It is not secure to put personal or IoT device there.

As a matter of fact, this problem just happened again yesterday because there was a big event in the office. The client count once goes up will never come down. I need to reboot the AP again.

Alexkl_MA
Comes here often

Confirmed there will be service impact to wireless client. Client balancing is enabled to evenly distribute client connection to nearby APs. I found that from the AP log shown '802.11 association  rejected for client balancing'. I believe that when this happened, no client can connect or roam to this AP. This means that when this issue is triggered, the AP will not accept any client connection, until the network admin discover this issue by manual verification on a daily basis and reboot the AP.

I really hope Meraki will fix this issue in next firmware update.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels