MESH MR76 + MA-ANT-20 and MA-ANT-27 and MV72x Cameras distance and configuration

Kevinm831
Conversationalist

MESH MR76 + MA-ANT-20 and MA-ANT-27 and MV72x Cameras distance and configuration

Question, we are trying to mesh/Bridge two MR76 with ANT-20 and ANT-27 antennas. To connect some MV72X cameras and provide wireless coverage. 

(Maybe MR84/86 would be better to cover the distance?) 

We have our Scale house centrally located.  

We plan to install MR76-#1 on a Telephone/Power Pole next to the Scale house. 

We will connect Cameras #1 and #2 via ethernet connection.

Camera #3 is about 375 feet away, we want to use a POE injector to give it power and use a Wireless profile to connect to the MR76-ScaleHouse.  There is some trees in the way of line of sight.

We are also looking to install another MR76-Plant-02 which is about 381 feet from the Scale House.  And Plant-01 is in between.  Plant-02 is about 40 feet above it. 

With the MA-ANT-27 from one MR76 to the other, will that span that gap?  Can we connect the MA-ANT-27 to one of the 2.4GHz and one of the 5GHz on the MR76. and use a ANT-20 on the other side? 

This connection for Plant-02, is for wireless coverage and to add another camera or two in the future.

B140 Quail Hollow Meraki MR76 and MV72.jpg

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I assume your Internet connection is in the Scale house?

I don't think this is going to work.  You need quite a bit of bandwidth for video playback.  I doubt the WiFi built into the #3 MV72X could make it back to the scale house.  That is over 100m.  It might do 30m and provide sufficient bandwidth for video playback.

You would need a pair of MRs for the link between the Scale House and #3 MV, and they would need point-to-point antennas (like the MA-ANT-27).

You would need a separate pair of MR76s between the scale house and plant #2, also both using directional antennas.

I would be tempted to order a trial and then do some tests to verify it will work before committing any money.  Or get someone else to do a WiFi site survey and verify the expected throughputs with different antenna combinations.

Thanks, Philip for the advice. 

My manager says he was able to beam wifi about a mile (no buildings or trees in the way).  Based on antennas. 

My Sr. Network Engineer thoughts are to connect the #3 MV72 Camera to Wifi, without putting a MR76 next to it.  But if that is what we need.  Then that is something to think about.

Also there is another plant  (Plant 3) which might not shake is much as Plant 2.  We could do another MR76.  or maybe better MR84/86.  Trying to create a mesh for iPads / Safety inspections and service.  And for Cameras in the future.

There is an old Weather tower, that is 1/2 mile away that is above all of this.  Maybe some sort of Solar powered AP.  Not sure if the tower has power.

What is best to get coverage for this challenging area... 

Thanks

>My manager says he was able to beam wifi about a mile (no buildings or trees in the way).  Based on antennas

But could he get enough throughput to allow HD video to be played?  It is a lot more intensive than a ping test or web browsing.  🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels