Issue with AP and Student wifi in one room

alehal
Here to help

Issue with AP and Student wifi in one room

So recently we had outside consultant setup new VLAN port for our Student WiFi connection along with setting up new DNS to have our AP to go to as well. So far all our AP are working fine and they can connect to Main, Staff and Student connection but some reason we have 4 problem area rooms with AP that seem to be connected to same switch port #3 on our Meraki switch. Basically what happening is Main and Staff work but Student devices will not connect to internet and they are not getting right IP address to connect to it when see them in Meraki. 

alehal_0-1726839130222.png

1 red for both these items pretty much VLAN we setup for Student wifi this happening to these devices connected to same switch port

alehal_1-1726839232585.png

Has anyone run into issue like this before? This setup was done by my manager who is no longer here. What could be causing the issue? Whole school working but these rooms

3 Replies 3
BradSp
Here to help

Have you confirmed that the Student VLAN is properly configured on that Port (and any trunk/uplinks from that switch)?

WillDavies
New here

Hello,

Yes I have experienced the same issue. My issue was that you need to ensure that the below is setup on that Network Switch;

- All VLANs are added on the Switch

- The switchport which connects to the main/other switch is configured as a Trunk Port

- The switchports which the APs connect to are also set as Trunk Ports

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are you getting four different CDP neighbours on a single port?

Are the APs connecting to an unmanaged switch in between?  You need to use a managed switch so that you can create all the VLANs on it, and those VLANs need to be trunked through.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels