Internal DHCP server on Meraki Guest WiFi

Solved
Davidbab
Conversationalist

Internal DHCP server on Meraki Guest WiFi

Hello All,

I'm new to the Meraki world. Moving form Cisco unified wireless.

I'm trying to point all my SSID's to an internal DHCP server for specific VLANs per specific SSIDs.

I don't see anywhere to define a DHCP server and all that googling has showed me is to set it up under Security & SD WAN in the dashboard. I don't have that as an option. My only options are network-wide, wireless & org. Am I missing something in my licensing that allows me the security & SD WAN tab to click? Or is there some other place to define a DHCP server?

Thanks,
D

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Security & SD-WAN is a menu you only get if you deploy an MX appliance in the Network in question.   With just MR, there are generally two alternative approaches, though you can mix-and-match between different SSIDs.  You could use NAT mode, where each AP is it's own DHCP server and (as the name implies) performs NAT.   This is generally used for static Guest users.   Most corporate SSIDs will run in Bridged mode, where you will need to provide a DHCP server elsewhere, either directly in the VLAN in which clients are placed or as a DHCP helper on the gateway for said VLAN.   In an environment where an MX is deployed, it's the MX that generally provides the default gateway function and is setup to locally act as a DHCP server or relay - maybe to a DC with a fully centralised DHCP setup, over meraki secure SD-WAN.  Have a good read of this:   https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/SSID_Modes_for_Client_IP_Assignme...

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Security & SD-WAN is a menu you only get if you deploy an MX appliance in the Network in question.   With just MR, there are generally two alternative approaches, though you can mix-and-match between different SSIDs.  You could use NAT mode, where each AP is it's own DHCP server and (as the name implies) performs NAT.   This is generally used for static Guest users.   Most corporate SSIDs will run in Bridged mode, where you will need to provide a DHCP server elsewhere, either directly in the VLAN in which clients are placed or as a DHCP helper on the gateway for said VLAN.   In an environment where an MX is deployed, it's the MX that generally provides the default gateway function and is setup to locally act as a DHCP server or relay - maybe to a DC with a fully centralised DHCP setup, over meraki secure SD-WAN.  Have a good read of this:   https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/SSID_Modes_for_Client_IP_Assignme...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels