How to identify wireless streaming devices

Netjcp
New here

How to identify wireless streaming devices

Does anyone know a way of creating a rule/filter and/or alert within the Meraki dashboard to identify wireless devices.

(Either from an MX or MR perspective) such as:

Roku

AppleTv

ChromeCast

Firestick

?

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe it is complicated since device identification is not an exact science and is not always identified correctly.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Netjcp , what are you trying to achieve?  You can set alerts when specific clients connect to the network.  Do you know what devices you’re looking for?  Using an oui lookup tool you could decipher which clients on your network are what.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi Darren,

@DarrenOC, Hi! and thanks for responding.

I'm trying to prevent user bringing in these types of devices and connecting them to their TV's / Monitors and eating up guest bandwidth. or configuring (not configuring them) in an unsecure manner, or a way that causes us wireless issues.

The API can be used to see clients' MACID with an OUI lookup you can determine the device manufacturer. Along with traffic the client is generating could be a way to determine streaming devices. 

I've also found in the past that splash pages generally cause issues with streaming devices even click-throughs. Since they don't reliably look for splash pages they will fail to authenticate without intervention from administration on the network or using a built-in browser. It's been a few years since I ran public access networks so it may have changed with the latest generations. 

javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Netjcp thanks for using the community space.  I would suggest in the future this post (or ones like it) to go under Wireless LAN (Meraki MR) instead of Wireless WAN.  This Wireless WAN community is focused on the Meraki Gateway and MX-C cellular products and their accompanying software features.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels