How can I make a PC only connect to an MR30H access point?

CARLOS11111
Comes here often

I have more access points around me with the same ssid, but I don't want the PC to be jumping from one AP to another, that's why I'm looking for a solution on how to tie that PC to the nearest AP and not have it link to another.

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The client (device) decides which AP to connect to.

If you want it to be connected to only one AP, publish the SSID only on the AP in question, or create a new SSID and publish it only on the AP you want.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Using_Tags_to_Broadcast_SSIDs_from_Specific_APs

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

I can't do that, because it is a hotel and the entire hotel has the same ssid, I would like to know if there is any way to block the mac in all the access points and only leave the one closest to it free, or some way to link the mac from the equipment to that app. I don't know what I think but I see that Meraki does not have that function.

No vendor will have this type of solution. There is no way to do what you want, roaming is a device decision so you can't force it to connect to a specific AP.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

But I imagine that if there is an AP, they block the Mac from linking to that AP. You could block the Mac to reject the connection and only leave one that does allow it.

No, you cannot block just one AP, either you block the user as a whole or leave the connection free.

If you are having a problem with roaming, your network was not well planned.

My suggestion is that you do a site survey on your Wifi network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels