Help with DHCP lease error

Solved
RayR
Here to help

Help with DHCP lease error

Trying to turn up a new network - and getting this error message: xtra: no_offers_received, vap: 0, vlan: 1.  Can't figure out why.  Appreciate guidance.

1 Accepted Solution

A wired port on the MR36H should behave just like wireless clients on the mapped SSID.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Need more info on the entire config/topology. That event log just means the DHCP DORA process didn't happen. Doesn't necessarily mean there were really no DHCP leases available. 

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

Physical config:  Client - to MR36 - to MX67 - to Comcast

Logical config:  SSID on MR maps to VLAN 1.  Address assignment on MR set to "external" - as I want to use DHCP on MX - not MR.  Fails...

If I change to Meraki "AP assigned" - things work - but that's not what I had wanted - as I want to use multiple vlans in the network - which I belive means I need to use DHCP from MX - not from MRs - correct?

Two of the first issues I see.

Your SSID firewall policy blocks all traffic to private subnets. https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/MR_Firewall_Rules

You use LAN 2 on your MX. That is only configured to allow VLAN 2 (trunk native 2, allow 2).

Ryan / Meraki SE

I corrected SSID FW issue and MX port issue and returned to “external DHCP” on wireless config (as I want MR clients to get DHCP leases from the MX - which I believe appropriate for running multiple vlans?).

Now I get an address / connection to MR – but no internet connection.

Advice?

Don't tag your native VLAN on the SSID. 

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 07.04.04.png

If you want clients of the SSID to be on VLAN 1 then either tag the switchport (MX LAN port in your case) to something other than 1. Or, on the SSID disabled tagging and clients will then be put onto the native VLAN of the LAN port.

Ryan / Meraki SE

RayR
Here to help

Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get back to my desk later today. 

Since I want to run multiple ssids each in a separate VLAN, I assume the first of your two suggestions is the way to go?

By the way, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why the default for the lan port couldn't be the same? 

Any going to try later today. Thanks

RayR
Here to help

Changed mx lan port to. "Drop untagged traffic" and now that works fine - THANKS

A follow up if you don't mind? 

I assume if I map a port on the mr36 to an SSID, traffic that comes in on that port will be tagged in the VLAN associated to the SSID- correct?

A wired port on the MR36H should behave just like wireless clients on the mapped SSID.

Ryan / Meraki SE

RayR
Here to help

Thanks 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels