Guest Access across Networks

Matt-P
Here to help

Guest Access across Networks

Hello all.  I think I know the answer to this but want to check.  Lets say I create an open ssid with a click through splash page that uses a third party for registration, with the intention of using this as Guest Wi-Fi across multiple corporate offices.  If a guest signs up in one office and gets connected, will they have to go through the same sign up process if they go to another office with the same SSID, but within a different "Network" within the Meraki Portal.  My understanding is that once a client has signed up, the client MAC is put into an authorised state and shared among the APs within that network only.  Basically I want a Guest Wi-Fi that you can sign up to in one Office, and it will work across loads of different offices within the authorised timeframe.

Thanks all

6 Replies 6
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This will work as you desire, if you configure the Networks in question under the same configuration Template:   https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple_...

If you don't want to use Templates, you could use an external splash page - something like SplashAccess

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/captive-portal-api/

Brilliant thanks, the networks I tested this with were on different templates, so i'll adjust that and test it again.  I will let you know...

No it doesn't work I'm afraid.  I have 2 APs, each in their own network, and 1 template attached to both networks delivering a Guest network with a splash access sign on page.  If I join 1 of the APs I get the Captive Portal and sign up successfully.  Then if I move to other AP I get the Captive Portal again so have to sign up again.  What I wanted was to be able to sign up in one office and move between offices without signing up each time.

Thanks

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You're not creating a Network-wide > User then?   Sorry - misunderstood precisely what mechanism you're using for sign-up ...?

no, I am using splashaccess to sign up.  It is actually a sponsored Guest portal.  So the captive portal asks you for your email and the email of the person you are visiting.  The person you are visiting then gets an email to approve the access.  Once thats approved the end device is granted access.  The way I think this works is simply based on MAC address.  So lets say the Guest returns the next day to the same office, they will automatically join as the device MAC is authorised for whatever time period was approved.  The bit I am not sure of is where that MAC address list is held, the APs or the Orchestrator.  But either way it appears it is "Network" based only.  So that Guest can only seamlessly join within the Office they originally signed up for.

Thanks for you help.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is going to be a question for Splash Access ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels