Meraki replacement for Cisco AIR-LAP1262N-A-K9 with external can antenna.

Jeff-Hainsworth
New here

Meraki replacement for Cisco AIR-LAP1262N-A-K9 with external can antenna.

I have an old plant wireless network and am looking for the best Meraki replacement for Cisco AIR-LAP1262N-A-K9 with external can antennas. I have 14 of these and would like to find the best replacement.

Thanks

4 Replies 4
AlbertT
Here to help

The AP you have now is 802.11n (wifi 4).

What matters is what your new network needs to meet, what clients are they using and what are any future plans?

You also need to think about how much speed is needed? Where is coverage needed ? How many streams do the clients use ? What about the technology used such as calling over VOIP ? Etc etc etc.

Each AP has its own transmission pattern and a one to one replacement is not recommended.

With this information, I recommend that you have a design created and then tested through a survey after completion.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

In principle the AP to look at would be the MR46E, but if I remember rightly, the 1260 APs (2 spatial streams) have separate antenna ports for the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios, whereas the MR46E (as a 4 spatial stream + scanning + IoT radios AP) needs dual-band antennas.   The key will be in the specifications of your existing antennas.   What details do you have on those?
Bear in mind too that, unless the Meraki AP is paired up with new/appropriate Meraki antennas, with dual-band antenna elements, it won't be supported by Meraki.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you go to the wireless product page:
https://meraki.cisco.com/products/wi-fi/models/ 

And then, go down one page; there is a product selector.  Tick the boxes for your requirements, and it will make a recommendation.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You know what - I think I would be tempted to get a free Meraki trial.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Getting_Started_with_Meraki/Getting_Started_Resources/Meraki_Free_T... 

You are doing such a massive technology jump - you might not even need external antennas any more.  This might impose a restriction on model selection that no longe needs to exist.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels