Easy way to identify a Meraki AP post deployment?

Solved
IDTsysadmin
Conversationalist

Easy way to identify a Meraki AP post deployment?

We have a warehouse that we recently deployed 5 MR44 AP's. Upon deployment, we forgot to identify the AP, and therefore the Dashboard is not accurate in reference to the name of the AP and the actual s/n or mac address.

The Meraki AP are very high so it would be hard to identify using the LED blinking light indicator. Besides paying a contractor and renting a manlift, is there another way to easily identify the access points?

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would try using led blinking + binoculars.  Or camera with good zoom

You could also use some signal analytics tool. Assuming your connected to the closest AP/ strongest signal you could see the mac of the AP in the tool. To make sure you could reboot the ap and see if you lose signal to the bssid mac

(Side note: Mr44 are not really ment to install very high, but maybe it works out fine in your case)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would try using led blinking + binoculars.  Or camera with good zoom

You could also use some signal analytics tool. Assuming your connected to the closest AP/ strongest signal you could see the mac of the AP in the tool. To make sure you could reboot the ap and see if you lose signal to the bssid mac

(Side note: Mr44 are not really ment to install very high, but maybe it works out fine in your case)

IDTsysadmin
Conversationalist

That was my initial thought, but I wasn't sure if there was another way.

I did not know MR44 are not meant for high places. For future knowledge, which AP do you think we should have went with?

Greenberet
Head in the Cloud

I would give the blinking indicators a try.

You could use the camera app and zoom from your phone, or some binoculars. Both options should be quicker and cheaper than renting a manlift.

If possible, then turn off the lights in the warehouse. The small LEDs are really bright in a dark environment.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you perhaps know what switch they are wired back to and if yes look up the MAC table?

They all connect to the same switch, and I can view the Mac address in the Meraki portal.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels