Early Access - AP Auto-placement

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Early Access - AP Auto-placement

New feature that was added to the Early Access program : 

AP Auto-placement

An all new way to place your APs on maps: Automatic, faster and more accurate.

Experience effortless network setup with our new AP Auto-Placement feature. With just a click, automatically position your access points on your floor plans, saving you hours of meticulous placement. Simply navigate to the Network-Wide Map & Floor Plans page, click on AP Auto-Placement, and let the magic unfold.
This feature is only available for networks that are running firmware 31.1 or higher

Pretty sure the documentation will follow shortly. 

@cmr you are the only person that I know that is running MR31. Have you tested it ?

@CarolineS  I noticed that we don't have a board for anything related to the Early Access program. Would it be a good idea to add one ?

7 Replies 7
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RaphaelL the beta program is being run in Stomio, not on the community boards...

I tried it on my network with 1x CW9166 and 2x CW9163E and this was the result:

1. You need a floorplan for it to even run, so I added one.
  2. It will momentarily disrupt wireless data access while measuring and took about 2-3 minutes in total
  3. It errored, see below
  4. The error seems to be that it only works for the CW9163Es as they have the GNSS receiver.  The CW9166 needs a USB plug in module for GNSS functionality
  5. But it works and all three were placed pretty much exactly where they really are!

Auto placement step 3.JPGAuto placement step 4.JPG

Auto placement results.JPG

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ohh cool ! 

I just found the documentation : https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/AP_Auto_Locate

Also MR31.1 just got out to the public ( like 15 mins ago ). Will do some testing

CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RaphaelL I'll send you a PM to discuss the Early Access program!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here

Heard back from the Early Access team with a recommendation on how to handle issues / questions related to Early Access / Early Access features - basically, do what you did here! Post in the relevant board (e.g. Wireless) with a clear indication that you're talking about Early Access. Issues related to Early Access as a platform can be posted in the Dashboard & Administration board.

Oh, and API Early Access does have its own board: https://community.meraki.com/t5/API-Early-Access-Discussions/bd-p/api-early-accessforum-board

Chrisgw
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello Meraki Community,

Are you tired of the time-consuming process of network planning and deployment? Are you struggling to maintain accurate and up-to-date information about APs locations? Solve these issues of Day 0 to Day N deployments with AP Auto Locate.

We are seeking participants capable of implementing this feature for large-scale networks that have 8+ compatible APs on a floor plan to work with and provide valuable feedback to the Cisco Wireless product team. This adoption insight will help us refine AP Auto Locate and make it even better!

If interested, please sign up using the link below to onboard yourself to the Stomio project for feature testing. Based on your network characteristics, we will contact you to gather information on your experience.

https://app.stomio.io/opt-in/SU6gQ_4TyCEA6M9ScvFCl57qtPhpW-MpjK3GFnXUqltY9UnuqN8cCSlwhWD36R0sOwwx60R...

Key Benefits of AP Auto Locate:

• Save Time & Reduce Complexity: Automatically determine and place AP locations on floor plans with ease.
  • Enhance Network Performance: Ensure accurate, up-to-date AP locations for optimal client device location accuracy.
  • Adaptable Solutions: Use GNSS when available, or place a few manual anchors per floor if GNSS is inaccessible.
  • Compatible with Leading Hardware: Supported on a range of models, including MR78, MR36H, MR36, MR46, MR56, MR57 (GPS capable), CW9162 (GPS capable), CW9164 (GPS capable), and CW9166 (GPS capable) CW9163E(Internal GPS)

Firmware Compatibility:

• MR31+

We appreciate your support and look forward to your participation!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Chrisgw it also works with CW9163E and they have built in GPS/GNSS.  I tested it out as part of the MR32 beta and it was very good on those models, being within 1-2m at worst.  Unfortunately I've only got 5 APs in the network 😕 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels