Connectivity Issue with WPA3-enabled SSID on Mobile Devices

RLNG
Getting noticed

Connectivity Issue with WPA3-enabled SSID on Mobile Devices

I am encountering an issue with my SSID, which has WPA3 Personal enabled with RADIUS for employee authentication. When attempting to connect my iPhone, I receive an error message stating, "Can't connect to this SSID." However, after forgetting the network and attempting to reconnect, it prompts me for my credentials, and then it successfully connects.

I have the SSID set to Auto-Join, but it eventually disconnects on its own. When I click on the SSID again to reconnect, the same cycle repeats with the "Can't connect to this SSID" error. To establish a connection, I must manually click "Join this network." which then prompts me to enter my username/password again. 

I've observed this issue on two test devices, an iPhone and an Android device, both of which support WPA3 and are running the latest firmware.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's probably because de client's device does not support WP3, and the other features that WP3 enables as mandatory.

alemabrahao_0-1696264685674.png

Remember that clients that do not support 802.11w will be rejected.

It had already been informed in your previous post.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you for the response. I have iPhone 14 and from what I checked it supports all the features. Also if it didn't support the wpa3, why it would connect in the first place?

You didn't read the question here again - 

"Remember that clients that do not support 802.11w will be rejected." --> I have mentioned that the client connects but after a few hours, it automatically disconnects. I have verified the supplicant supports WPA3 & 802.11W. 
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think that you need to open a support case. 😉

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Certainly, but I was emphasizing that you hadn't actually read the question. It's preferable not to provide an answer simply for the sake of responding.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I have the SSID set to Auto-Join, but it eventually disconnects on its own.

I have had the exact same issue, except on other devices (not Apple).  It might stay connected and work for 4 hours, and then break.  Might be 10 minutes.

I have tried WPA3 on and off for over 12 months.  I have never managed to get it to work reliably, on any firmware version (device and AP).

Do you think it's related to WPA3? Does the issue doesn't get replicated when using WPA2 in the same environment? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

WPA2 works perfectly, and is what I use all day, every day.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels