Client unable to connect TI Z64-CC3220MOD Radio

glydeen
Comes here often

Client unable to connect TI Z64-CC3220MOD Radio

I have a scientific device I am attempting to join one of our networks, I am finding this device will successfully join only if I am advertising the SSID over one AP. If I'm roaming with more than one AP the device will never authenticate.

This device uses a TI Z64-CC3220MOD Radio, WPA2 PSK with 2.4 GHz support. The SSID is being broadcast and not hidden. Other devices are functioning normally.

I am using MR56 and MR46E Access Points and MR 29.6.1 firmware.

I'll concede the device is most likely the issue, but I'm looking for any suggestions.

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you create an SSID without any authentication, can the device connect?

Take a test.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
This2shallpass
Getting noticed

Test 1

If I'm roaming with more than one AP the device will never authenticate.
What is the "SSID mode" for Client IP Assignment ?
If its "Meraki NAT mode" please note that each AP will NAT to its own management IP address. As a result, connections will drop and have to be re-established.
The performance can be enhanced if “Bridge mode – External DHCP Server assigned” is selected in the SSID profile as Bridging gives the best roaming experience.
Additionally, Enabling 802.11r (this option is available when you opt for Bridge mode) technology reduces overhead when a client roams from one AP to another, delivering a more seamless transition

Test 2

Create a new test SSID for the device in question to use 2.4GHz only.
Go to Radio Settings - RF profiles - Basic Indoor Profile - Edit
Set the min bitrate to 6 & disable the 802.11ax only on "2.4 Ghz" radio setting

Test 3

Factory reset device
Place device back into network 
Still issue persists get it RMA'd
TBHPTL
A model citizen

Its your device most likely. There are some client devices in the wild that quite frankly should be replaced with more modern chipsets and drivers. Some 2.4GHz devices are intolerant of SSIDs that are being broadcast on 2.4 and 5GHz simultaneously, have also seen some that intolerant of pruning older data rates.

If you can upgrade the firmware/driver on your device

I would suggest get your instrument requirements and tailor your SSID and data rates to match it.

If you can join the SSID with another item it is your device.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels