Can you connect the Z3C to your LAN versus the ISP Router?

hymie1010
New here

Can you connect the Z3C to your LAN versus the ISP Router?

I have a user who'd like to use a Z3C to connect to our corporate net through wireless.  Her office is too far away from the router, but there are wireless APs with ethernet ports on them for connectivity throughout her house.  Does the Z3C need an internet IP from the ISP router or can it obtain a 192.168.x.x IP from the LAN and still call home to sync up with the template and config?  I've never tried it, but I can't find anything that states the Internet 1 port needs a public internet IP.  Can someone confirm that this will not work?

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

A Z or MX can reside "inside" a network with a private IP. As long as it can reach dashboard and if using AutoVPN the proper ports are open it can form a VPN tunnel, etc.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Just to be clear, the Z3C must connect to the Internet either via a wired Ethernet connection via its WAN port or via a cellular connection.  It can't connect to another WiFi network in the house for Internet access using it's built in WiFi capabilities.

If you can plug the WAN port of the Z3C into the Ethernet port of one of these existing WiFi APs and get "ordinary" Internet access - that is fine.

The WiFi in the Z3C is only for clients to connect to.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels