Can't create additional subnets on MX105

Solved
woltman87
Just browsing

Can't create additional subnets on MX105

I'm trying to create a separate VLAN for our WAPs to segment them from the management VLAN I setup. With this I plan to subnet the network I created, a /21, to a /23. When I try to save the new WAP VLAN I get the error below:

woltman87_0-1694535089056.png

I've even switch the management VLAN from a /21 to a /22, same error. Also set both VLANs to a /21, and then it just says, "Vlan subnets cannot overlap with each other".

Is this just not possible to do on an MX/within Meraki? I'm thinking there's some interVLAN routing that needs to happen. 

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the IP you want to set is not within the /23 range and if you already have another network created that overlaps setting /22 or /21 it is also not allowed, regardless of whether it is Meraki or not, this is not possible to set up.
Just try another range that doesn't overlap.

172.16.224.0/23

Host Address Range

172.16.224.1 - 172.16.225.254

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the IP you want to set is not within the /23 range and if you already have another network created that overlaps setting /22 or /21 it is also not allowed, regardless of whether it is Meraki or not, this is not possible to set up.
Just try another range that doesn't overlap.

172.16.224.0/23

Host Address Range

172.16.224.1 - 172.16.225.254

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Use it to calculate. 

https://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=B

So that's what I had to do: set the management as 172.16.224.0 /23, and WAP as 172.16.226.0 /23. My understanding was that the MX's IP for the whole inside network (172.16.224.0) and as the gateway for everything should be 172.16.224.1, but it appears that's not the case.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels