[CONTEST CLOSED] Tell us what you think of our next course and win swag!

MerakiJess
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

[CONTEST CLOSED] Tell us what you think of our next course and win swag!

Update: This contest is now closed. Thank you so much everyone for the thoughtful feedback! We will use your input to improve this course before its launch. Congrats to our randomly selected winners: @Nathaniel_Hang@TyShawn, and @nerdocrat 🎉! Look for a message from us soon to claim your prize.  

Hi everyone, Meraki learning team here! We are working a new course for Wireless Fundamental Implementation on the Learning Hub and we’d LOVE your input. You can win swag for helping us out! Review the course outline below and leave your feedback in the comments

This course will discuss only topics related to Validating a Cisco Meraki Wireless Implementation—essentially, how to make sure your wireless implementation is fully operational and optimally performing.  

Consider it from the perspective of someone that may be new to wireless implementation.

If you were that person: Which topics are most interesting to you? Does the outline cover all the topics you think you need for a fundamental skill set in validating wireless networks? Do we need any additional topics? Any other suggestions?

Review the course outline below!

Topic 1: Optimizing RF operation and settings to provide optimal wireless coverage and performance.

1. Purpose of utilizing RF Profiles in Wireless > Radio Settings
    1. Video about using RF Profiles with a grouping of indoor APs
  2. Best practice RF settings for a multi-SSID deployment
    1. Video about RF Profiles with a 2.4/5/6 GHz deployment with a segmented 6 GHz SSID
  3. Dashboard Auto RF functionality and AI channel planning
    1. How to use AI channel planning and Busy Hour for optimized RF operation with minimal client impact

Topic 2: Validating wireless network deployments in the dashboard. 

1. Benefits of analyzing your RF spectrum to understand the impact of RF interference
    1. How to use the AP neighbors feature to see neighboring access points and their operating channels to identify potential issues
    2. Video about AP neighbors 
  2. Benefits of using a wireless testing solution to detect and resolve issues without the need for additional hardware or cables.
    1. Demonstration of the synthetic wireless client feature for running a variety of client onboarding and connectivity tests

How to enter 

Review the course outline included in this post and share your thoughts with us in a comment below before 11:00am EST on Friday, December 1st. Everyone who responds to this post with their comments will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win one of three Cisco Meraki North Face Apex Duffel Bags:

MerakiJess_0-1701183828247.png

How to win

Once submissions close at 10:59am EST on December 1st, we will select three at random to win a duffel bag. Good luck!

TERMS & CONDITIONS

15 Replies 15
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looks good on the whole to me and great that 6 Ghz is being included but I think there needs to be some information around AP model selection, could be fairly generic so that it doesn't include model numbers which change every so often but around indoor and outdoor as well as MU-MIMO and placement. 

Obviously end users SHOULD have some idea of what they are purchasing or at least have the support of a MSP however I think there should be something mentioned at least around picking the right model and placement. 

Nathaniel_Hang
Conversationalist

Overall, good starting point.  However, here are a couple of topics that I think might be good to further help set the stage:

1)  Channel fundamentals for 2.4, 5, and 6 GHz.  What are some of the key concepts/takeaways to consider for each frequency range?  Any guidances/best practices for each respective frequency range?

2)  When to use AI channel planning vs. when to disable.  e.g.  What scenarios would one encounter where it makes sense to disable it?

3)  Same goes to channel planning setting.  Under what scenarios where we should disable "auto", and instead revert to manual channel assignment?

4)  RF spectrum page - how do you interpret the two graphs?  What does the color coding represent?

5)  Sizing/coverage guidelines/best practices for APs?

6)  Single vs. multiple SSID considerations?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi team, your course outline for Wireless Fundamental Implementation looks comprehensive and well-structured. Here are my thoughts:

- Consider adding a topic on security aspects of wireless implementation. Discussing topics like WPA3, Enhanced Open, and the importance of regular firmware updates could be beneficial.

- A section on troubleshooting common issues in wireless networks might be helpful for beginners. This could include resolving connectivity issues, dealing with interference, and optimizing network performance.

- It might be useful to include some real-world case studies or scenarios where learners can apply the knowledge they've gained from the course.

Overall, the course outline looks very promising and should provide a solid foundation in validating wireless networks.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think it would be good to cover off the below tabs and for troubleshooting roaming.

PhilipDAth_0-1701209112893.png

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

- The RF profiles section should definitely include basic topics like how much a typical client can transmit and how you should plan according to your client capabilities.

- When you should use client balancing and when not to.

- How to use AP neighbors to see if you have atleast another AP with enough power to be able to roam between those two AP's and segway into roaming analytics.

- The importance of importing floorplans and placing your AP's on them.

- Multiple SSID management frame overhead and it's effects on airtime.

- Why 5 GHz transmission is required in a 6 GHz deployment to have the out of band discovery of the network on 6 GHz.

- What 6 GHz requires to work with. (WPA3)

TyShawn
A model citizen

This is a solid start but depending how in depth you want to get you may want to cover some of the following topics as well.

1. Wireless Meshing 

2. Authentication types

3. AP placement with AI channel planning 

4. Best practices with client types i.e. low usage, high usage, video streaming, etc. 

5. Wifi channel width best practices 

6. Signal to noise recommendations

edwsalaz
Conversationalist

nice content! it would be great if you can start with some fundamental video about this course, including prerequisites to attend, objetives and expectations.

conclusions and recommendations at the end will be useful as well, like a summary of this course.

WDC01
Conversationalist

excited to go through the course, it looks excellent.

MerakiJess
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thanks all for the thoughtful replies so far! We really value your input! 🌟

RRuff1
Here to help

This looks like a great start and could be very helpful to several members of our team.

I would like to see the RF profiles section touch on broadcast power settings and best practices for high density environments.  Maybe add in a section on the Air Marshall feature and best practices.

nerdocrat
Here to help

Overall I like it, especially the second half. For a new learner, Topic 1 is a good starting poiint, laying the groundwork for understanding how wifi networks function at the most basic level. But Topic 2 is arguably more important, because it deals with ongoing maintenance, optimization, and troubleshooting of the network.

In the real world, smart people often design networks without a clear understanding of how corporate networks function, and techs are hired after the network infrastructure is designed and implemented. Then it becomes the new tech's job to make lemonade with lemons that are going bad.

My point is that the troubleshooting and maintenance sections of books and courses are often my favorite, especially if the use cases are pulled from real-world scenarios.

In the course, I would like to see:

Pragmatic use cases, especially as they pertain to troubleshooting

Review section

Review questions

Links to relevant Meraki documentation

Material as it relates to the ECMS certification. I did a once over on the exam blueprint from Meraki's website:

Topic 1: 2.6a, 2.6b, 3.3c

Topic 2: 3.3b, 3.3d, 4.1, 4.4c, 4.4d

Hassan124
Conversationalist

This seems like a terrific place to start and might be very beneficial to a number of our team members. Best practices for implementing Meraki Wireless and the below topics can be discussed, which is really useful for all members' help us to understand how wireless work.

Wireless signals: what they are and how signals can differ

Wireless devices: the differences and uses for receivers and transmitters

Wi-Fi Modes: how networks are made up of clients, access points, or ad-hoc devices

Wi-Fi Signals: the Unique Characteristics of Wi-Fi and How Signals Are Organized

Power and receiver sensitivity: how far each wireless device can go and how well a router can listen and filter out interference and noise

Antennas: how the type of antenna changes the way the AP broadcasts
UKDanJones
Building a reputation

Looks good!

I'd like to see the following added:

• Channel Widths and the impact of CCI
  • What DFS is and why it's essential to know its impact on your network (and therefore why AI Auto RRM is a good thing) - but also why you probably shouldn't use hidden SSIDs with DFS channels.
  • Why you probably don't want to use dual band 2.4/5 GHz, but dual 5/6GHz is okay.
  • Why and How clients roam (they choose, not the Wi-Fi network). How can you help clients make a good choice (overlapping APs, reduced Tx, increased MBR)?
  • Max number of SSIDs per band (best practice)
  • WPA3 security enhancements and why they should upgrade all their WPA2 networks to use WPA3
  • 6 GHz discovery mechanisms and security (RNR, FILS, WPA3, OWE) - and ensuring clients can see and connect to 6 GHz.
Please feel free to hit that kudos button
AmyReyes
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update: This contest is now closed. Thank you so much everyone for the thoughtful feedback! We will use your input to improve this course before its launch. Congrats to our randomly selected winners: @Nathaniel_Hang@TyShawn, and @nerdocrat 🎉! Look for a message from us soon to claim your prize. 

MerakiJess
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Thanks so much again everyone! Be sure to check out our other Wireless Fundamental Implementation courses on the learning hub about Deploying, Building, and Securing (coming soon!) your wireless networks. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels