BSSIDs for MR46 and MR56

Derek_L
New here

BSSIDs for MR46 and MR56

I am working an E911 initiative where MR46 and MR56 WAPs are deployed. To get the granularity needed I need to determine all the BSSIDs for each WAP. I have the wired mac for each WAP, does anyone know where I can find the formula to determine all the BSSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5.6 GHz channels?

I know there is a way via the Wireless Controller to run a report to see all the BSSIDs, but I was hoping to determine the formula and create a calculator to use. I have found this document which covers a lot of models, just not the MR46 or MR56 models.

“Calculating Cisco Meraki BSSID MAC Addresses”

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Derek_L , Do want to know how many SSIDs you can create? Well, Cisco recommends a maximum of 4 SSIDs. You can calculate the overhead using this calculator:

https://wlanprofessionals.com/wifi-ssid-overhead-calculator/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Derek_L
New here

I am hoping to determine this for MR46 & MR56

MR12, MR16, MR18, MR24, MR62, MR66

Any given access point's MAC address may start with one of the following OUIs. Please reference the appropriate section below to find BSSID calculations for your specific access point. 

MAC OUI of 00:18:0A

The "Radio Adjustments" shown below pertain to changes made to the MAC address specific to each radio (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). These radio-specific adjustments are not considered in the BSSID calculations. The BSSID calculations are based on the AP MAC address that can be found here

Radio Adjustments
2.4 GHz: No change
5 GHz: +0x02 to 1st octet for SSID 1 only, +0x10 to 3rd octet 

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know If they have a calculator to calculate that, but you can check the BSSID MAC on "BSSID Details":

alemabrahao_1-1648492039601.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels