Authentication issues on Guest SSID

gs2527
New here

Authentication issues on Guest SSID

Hi,

There has been an increase in number of wireless connection issues for a Guest SSID configured. The "failure stage" is "Authentication" and has a bunch of following messages -

Client failed during the authentication step

type='WPA-PSK auth fail' associated='false' radio='1' vap='1'

The PSK is accurate but the connection drops regardless. Any suggestions/advice for troubleshooting?

Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 1.59.31 PM.png

3 Replies 3
Christian_S
Here to help

Check the port on the switch that the AP is plugged into and confirm the guest VLAN is allowed on the port. Then also check the uplink port on the same switch/every switch the traffic passes through until it reaches the firewall to make sure the guest vlan is allowed outbound. 

Guest Vlan is allowed on all AP ports and outbound as well. These messages get logged as the failure on authentication when looked from a wireless health POV. 

What I am also noticing is a lot of roaming even when the client is stationary. Example logs below -

Successful connection to SSID Guest for a minute on access point F01-AP02-Lobby, and then the client roamed to access point F01-AP05.

Roamed from access point F01-AP02-Lobby then had a successful connection to SSID  Guest for a few seconds on access point F01-AP05, and then the client roamed.

Successful connection to SSID Guest for a few seconds on access point F01-AP02-Lobby.

Roamed from access point F01-AP02-Lobby then had a successful connection to SSID  Guest for a minute on access point F02-AP01, and then the client roamed to access point F02-AP18.

Roamed from access point F02-AP01 then had a successful connection to SSID Guest for a few seconds on access point F02-AP18, and then the client roamed to access point F02-AP13.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels